Legitimate Bastards

(Map of Gaia around the time this story starts)

Chapter 1: Legitimate Bastards

I saw a movie called Outlaw King about Robert de Bruce and got inspired to write this. Not as romance-focused rather than plot-focused. This one is more about the war going on than the relationship that develops in a few chapters down the line. For those on ffnet, go read the wattpad version to also see maps I drew of the story.

Chapter 1: Legitimate Bastards

The king was in for a visit that week. While the salt-smelling and blue-adorned walls of Fort Ithaca were not like the grandeur of the royal palace in Olympus, the seat of Clan Atlantea was welcome to the royal family and their entourage.

Imperial soldiers hung about in the mucky streets around the fort, leering at farmer's daughters and taking their fill of stew and porridge. It was by no means how Percy liked it, but he was nine, so what was he gonna do about it?

That age limitation line was often given to him by his older brother and the heir to Fort Ithaca, Triton, who was currently swinging a very sharp steel sword down towards his younger brother's head. Percy stepped to the side and met it with his own smaller sword, but he was thrown into a daze when his brother's left hand swung up and struck him across the cheek.

Triton lifted his sword with a serious look on his face. "Don't dodge and then parry. Take the moment to strike while I can't defend myself." He lectured as Percy rubbed his sore cheek. "And don't sit there and touch your wound. You buy yourself time and likely get yourself a plague if you start rubbing your dirty fingers in a gash." He snapped.

Just then the eldest son of Poseidon Kephallon was incapacitated as his younger sister leapt from a hay bale upon his back, screaming like a madman. "Cali!" The young man laughed and spun around trying to shake her off, so the twin brother of the girl, ran forward to help his sister, proceeding to use all the strength in his body to beat Triton in the stomach, serving only to make the heir to Fort Ithaca laugh again.

"Look father, that girl's running amok like a wild animal." A young, strong and sneering voice sounded next to them, slowing the group down as they tried to look at who had joined them. A young man in a pompous red dress and some kind of bannered hat stood next to a tall, black-bearded man watching them with a slight smirk. Aside the two of them were a couple of children, maybe the same age or a little bit younger than Percy and Cali.

"Hush, boy. Don't be a little weasel. We may have to marry you to a wild animal if your betrothed hears you talk with attitudes like that. She and her father may arrange for a more princely character from Etrusca or somewhere to take the hand of the finest lady in the west. Lords only know those dickless fairies have more chivalry than you sometimes. Be mindful of what you have for you, you idiot." The man spoke cruelly and sarcastically to his son, allowing the two twin children of Lord Poseidon to snicker at their crown prince without punishment.