Chapter 9: Smoke and Ash

"Bullets Flying, Taking Toll."

Deep Purple-Child In Time

Great Fox II

Kronos sat in the lounge, sipping on a soda.

"Fox sure is in a bad place, huh?"

The Elite turned around and acknowledged Falco.

"Yeah, hopefully he gets over it soon."

The Avian shook his head.

"I hate to ask this, but how long did it take you and Syxx to get over your parents' deaths?"

Kronos took a big swig of soda.

"A long time."

Kronos was about to add more to that statement when the bridge alarm sounded. Both of them dropped what they were doing and headed out to the bridge. When they got there, they were once again briefed by Peppy.

"Excellent work taking out those satellites, guys. Now it's time to take back the capitol."

Fox turned to the team.

"Falco, Katt, you two are on air support. Krystal, Radoven, Kronos, and myself will go in on foot."

"Well, it's settled than." replied the General.

Macbeth City

Fox and Krystal rode atop a hovertank alongside several other soldiers. The offensive to take back Macbeth City was now underway, manifested in the form of a pincer movement. Kronos and Radoven were at the other end of the attack. The vulpine looked up at the sky and saw Lylatian aircraft clashing with their Xenosian and Soviet foes.

Fear struck Fox when four Soviet SU-25 Frogfoot attack planes and two Xenosian Paza fighters slipped through the fray and zoomed towards the advancing ground units. Fox knew the former from the Demon War, and from what Kronos' older brother Syxx had related, the Paza combined the roles of the helicopter and the attack aircraft.

Several SAMs and AA guns were fired in response, but only one of the aircraft was downed. The others continued zooming towards the armoured vehicles. Fox and Krystal jumped off the tank as the enemy aircraft began spitting death with their cannons and missiles. Several tanks and APCs exploded and many infantry were cut down.

Worse still, Soviet and Xenosian tanks had appeared on the horizon. The foxes took cover behind a tank, occasionally leaning out to trade shots with the enemy.

Elsewhere

Kronos and Radoven had been lucky enough that the Lylatian and enemy air forces were still locked in combat over their end of the pincer. They and several other Lylatian troops were scouting ahead of the armoured vehicles. Both Elites were equipped with Volgonian KMS assault rifles, which have a multi shot grenade launcher on top of the gun. Radoven had acquired several via the connections he had made during his time in NKVZD. For sidearms, they both had a pair of Sangheilli Type 50 plasma rifles and in Kronos' case, an FN Five-Seven semi-automatic pistol.

All seemed quiet until gunfire erupted from an apartment building, cutting down a couple of Lylatians. Everyone else took cover and fired back. The building was soon pockmarked with holes from bullets, lasers, plasma, and grenades.