Chapter Ten

Grimoire wanted to rush to Vincent as soon as possible. He wanted to grab his son and hold him tightly, to ensure that he wouldn't fade away. Grimoire was... Grimoire was so afraid.

But he needed to calm down. He needed to stay calm; keep a mask up. He needed to make a phone call.

Nina stayed behind in the car, outside of Nibelheim. It wouldn't do good to attract unwanted attention.

Ring

Ring

Ri-

"Hello?"

He did not stiffened up nor did he relaxed. The quality of that simple hello was poor, but that could be a good thing.

"Ah yes is Dr. Faremis there? This is Grimoire Valentine, I wish to speak with him." He spoke as clearly as he could.

"Ah! Dr. Valentine! It's been a while since we last heard you! Didn't you say you went on a last minute vacation?"

"Yes, I know. And yes, I was. However my son and I found something extraordinary and I wish to inform Dr. Faremis."

"Yes, yes, of course. One moment please."

Grimoire waited and waited to the sound of crackles. Weeks prior, back when he hurried into the town with his son, he was surprised to find that Nibelheim even had a phone. It was very... rustic. He didn't dare use the phone in that Shinra manor, if there even was a phone installed. (It had been left alone for far too long.) But he was thankful that the inn had one. Very thankful indeed.

And he was prepared to repeat words and whole sentences like last time.

After a few more minutes, someone picked up on the other side.

"Hello, Doctor Gast Faremis speaking."

"Dr. Faremis, it's Doctor Grimoire Valentine." Grimoire smiled.

"Ah! Grimoire! How wonderful to hear you again! Are you done with your last minute vacation?"

"Yes, I am actually."

"Good, good. I was a bit surprised when you told me you were going on vacation. Last minute too, as we established." Even with the shaky connection, Grimoire could hear the humor in his friend's voice.

The man chuckled. "Yes well, I'd figure I'd use this opportunity to rope my son to spend some time with this old man and relax."

"Oh come now Grimoire, you're not old yet. Why, I haven't even seen a single hair of silver in that mane of yours!"

"First of all, my hair is at a nice length that I like thank you very much. Second of all, how do you know I just don't cut off any grey hair I find?"

It was rather nice to hear Gast laugh at the other end.

"So, how's Vincent?"

That brought the nervousness come back. "Back at the car, sleeping. I think I managed to gain some luck for these two phone calls. But anyways, I'm here to talk about work."

"Of course, of course. Now then, what is it?"

Grimoire... slowly swallowed. "I've found... something rather... interesting. I'm not exactly sure if I should say everything I've found over the phone, but I'm determined to look into it. I will say that I'll have to face the wrath of Administrative Research."

"I'm so sorry, but could you please repeat that? You'll face the wrath of who?"

"Administrative Research."