Chapter Nine

Time was an odd thing. Something that felt... not real, yet continued anyways. The sun rose and fell, the moon following  close behind. Wind blew clouds and brought up dust. The creatures living within the canyon followed things only they understood. They followed a... routine that went with the day and night. That went with time.

Time was a strange... thought.

Father said he would return soon.

Time made it so that Father was gone for much longer than he actually was.

"...do you wanna play?" Little Guardian asked once again.

He... (that's right he was a he, Father explained that he was a he) sighed.

"I can let you win." Little Guardian tried again.

He didn't want to win. He wanted Father.

At first things were okay, when Father left. He was still practicing the rules to "Protect the Candle" and Little Guardian still insisted he call him Nanaki. The creatures were trying to call him Vincent.

He wasn't too keen on other creatures other than Father calling him Vincent.

"Viiiiiinceeeeent." Little Guardian whined.

Well, Father and Little Guardian.

He didn't even growl at Little Guardian's Papa when he came into the cave VincentChaos holed himself up in.

(Inn room, a voice sounding like Father reminded him.)

"You really should go out. Your father wouldn't want you to waste away in here." Little Guardian's Papa said, voice rumbling.

He would not respond.

"I hope you do realize that he has me in charge of watching after you."

He felt like he lost something when he growled at the creature.

"Please Vincent? Pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssse?" Little Guardian was...

There was a word that was just out of reach. What was it? P...per... persistent? Yes. That was it. Little Guardian was persistent.

He could wait for Little Guardian to tire.

But then Little Guardian started whimpering.

He couldn't take it anymore.

'Fuck it! I'll go outside!' A strange thought bubbled up. He didn't quite understood the first part but, but he agreed with it.

Frustration made its way to his face, his mouth turning down into a frown (scowl). He then rolled out from the furs and stalked out of the room. Past Little Guardian and his Papa.

Something like glee went through him when he noticed their... shocked expressions.

The sun... felt warm on his skin. But it was bright. Was it always so bright at the canyon? It was almost enough for him to want those... sunglasses Father gave him. But he was told he didn't have to wear it after that night with Father, Little Guardian, and Little Guardian's Mama and Papa.

He didn't want to hide his eyes. He wanted to stop the light from being so strong.

No matter what he felt that he couldn't win a fight against the sun. No matter how much he wanted to.

Something told him he shouldn't pout like a child.

He was not.

"Vinceeeeeent!" The growing cry of Little Guardian came at him at a fast speed.

Not fast enough as he was able to dodge Little Guardian so easily. He huffed as Little Guardian tumbled. Little Guardian needed to do better if he wanted to be strong.

VincentChaos was determined to help Little Guardian get strong. That "Protect the Candle" game was good practice.

He picked up a rock and held it high. Little Guardian shook himself, and as he stared up at the rock, VincentChaos thought he saw stars in the tiny one's eyes.

How was it possible for that to happen he will never know.

"PROTECT THE CANDLE!!" The tiny one shouted.

And just like that all of the young ones of the canyon flocked to the two.

He could not understand the... unsettledness he felt when the young ones did that.

'It's like they share a hive mind.' the his not his thoughts went.

He did not know what a hive mind was, but he agreed.

Nonetheless, he would be the protector this round. He will hold onto the rock (candle) and protect it from the "attackers". And once the round ends he will be on the attacking team.

He will help all these young ones to be strong and fast. He will show Father how gentle he was with the young ones.

Maybe if he does well enough, Father wouldn't leave again.

Something within him ached at the thought of Father leaving... and never returning.

——

We've made the joke in the discord that Vincent is turning into Miette. Chaos has cat vibes I don't make the rules. Also not pictured here is the human kids teaching Vincent how to do a thumbs up, and Vincent giving the kids on his team a thumbs up when he basically wins the game.