chapter 5

~

The afternoon was warm. The air was calm with a slight breeze. A glass of alcohol after a morning of yapping vultures.
"Your majesty, if you're struggling to conceive, my daugh-" How does your daughter fit into finances for the kingdom?! Another sip of the alcohol soothed the red embers.

It is peaceful around the Empire - as far as the reports say. According to my calender, I have a day off tomorrow. I will then take advantage of that peace and go into town tomorrow. However, I am doubtful of that peace lasting, as there is always chaos close by if one gets too comfortable.

It was not long before I has downed a bottle and a half. Not bad if a do say so myself, compared to my usual intake I think I may be getting better.

The garden chair was pearl white accompanied by a round side table with details welded into sprouted flowers and glass laid on the surface. On the table was a crystal glass - near empty and an unnamed bottle that was taken from the wine cellar. The patio tile was warm on the soles of my feet. The cool breeze was welcoming replacement from the stifling office filled with heated air. "A good day for a swim," a longing sigh left my lips.

A shift in fabric caught my attention. In the corner of my eye, a small woman with long brown locks and kind brown eyes stood with her hands behind her back. "Ah! Matilda forgot you were here!" I exclaimed. "If I did, I would have asked for another glass!" I saw the woman had a nervous smile on her face. "A-Uhm, no thank you, Samual, I-I'm on duty." Oh, what a shame. I shrugged with a small pout. "Another time then, Matilda, hm?" I asked with a small nod. "Of course, Samual." I turned away from the woman and into the large ball of fire in the big blue sky. "I heard that Athy and Claude took a boat ride across that river," I bit the bottom of my lip. "I hope that bastard doesn't do anything stupid," I growled under my breath

~

As it would turn out, that bastard did nothing. He did absolutely nothing to prevent his daughter from falling over! Not even to think of putting a bloody lifevest on her!

I went to the room they kept her in, she was sleeping. A cold compress was on her forehead. She must have gotten a fever. I placed a hesitant hand on her cheek. She flinched at my touch but immediately relaxed afterwards. She was warm but it seemed to be receding. I stayed for a while, but the look Lilly was directing at me and failing miserably to hide told me I needed to leave. I guess she does not trust anyone closely related to Claude for the time being. He killed her friends.

Dinner was silent for the first half. I had two bottles of alcohol so far and going on my third. "How could you?" I hissed. He sat there unphased. "What?" He questioned and narrowed those crystal topaz eyes. "You know what I'm talking about!" I growled. It smelled like something burning. Claude's eyes turned to the window on his left and the table on his right. He kept silent. "Why didn't you do anything to save her?!" I yelled. He sat with eyes boring into my own, telling me to back down - I will not! "Did you want her to die?! Huh?!" My hand felt wet. I turned my gaze down and saw the red essence of life mixed with the spilt alcohol on my skin. Tch, I should give up drinking. I dropped remnants of shattered glass on the table and wrapped a pretty eggshell blue cloth around my hand.

"Why didn't you do anything to save her?" He said lowly "What?" I wondered what he was on about. "You're one to talk, Samual, after what happened to our child!" He hissed. "Did you ever think that I would feel nothing for the loss of our firstborn, hm?" My face felt wet, but I did not care. "I do feel it, every single damn day! I feel guilty!" My injured hand slammed down on the wooden table. The burned smell entered my nose again. I could feel the tears and mucous running my freely now. In haste, I pushed out my chair and slammed the door shut on my way out.

~

I found a spare room and slept there for the evening.

I don't mind not sleeping. I'll get nightmares anyway. The tears kept falling.

A few months after our union, I was with a child. I, unfortunately, grew sick during my pregnancy. In my fifth month, I bleed. It was quite a scare for Claude and me. The Medical Meisters ordered I remain in bed for the rest of my pregnancy to avoid any movement that could compromise the fetus's life. I did as they said. By my seventh month, I grew restless - I needed to stretch my legs without the help of the attendants dotting on my every move. I remembered, it was morning - Claude had just left for his duties as Emperor and I was still asleep. I woke up feeling something running down my thigh. Quickly, I pulled aside the covers. There was so much blood. I called for help. I called again and nobody came. It took about an hour before servants came to my aid. It was too late. The Meisters told me, they needed to cut me open to retrieve the dead fetus. It was a girl. Claude never spoke to me again for another four months.

Those four months were agony. Not only did I blame myself but I felt like a failure - a failure as a parent and a failure as a spouse. I would not come out of my room unless there were important people that needed my presence. Eating became a chore that I ignored.

~

The night was similar to that first night. I stared at the wall of the patterned wallpaper so that I could avoid the nature shining inside the room through the window.

~

Hello everyone!
Hope you all are doing well. Well here is another chapter.

Please tell me what you think through your COMMENTS. I particularly enjoy your comments so keep it up.

Please at least 10 READS, 5 COMMENTS, and 5 VOTES are MANDATORY before the next chapter will be put up.

That will be all. Thank you for any reads, comments, and votes I truly appreciate your support of my book. It makes me excited to see you guys so hyped up!!

P. S Original number of COMMENTS is 3, it is 6 because I replied to the 3 COMMENTS. So I need another 2 COMMENTS.

Anywho 😊 stay safe guys

Love lots
sleep_ex