Chapter 1

Kara sends a quick text to her sister as she drops her suitcase in front of the manor-like house. She inhales heavily ; she made it. She managed to get an internship at CatCo Worldwide Media and will spend the entire summer working, three days of the week, under Cat Grant herself.

Unfortunatly, the internship is in National City, meaning that Kara had to leave her cozy bedroom in Midvale to make her debut in the big city. Which also mean she needed to find a place to stay. But not with Alex, who moved in National City two years ago. Kara can handle almost anything, but living on her sister's couch for three months is a bit too much. She at least needs a door between the place she'll sleep in and someone else's bedroom.

Which is why Kelly proposed she could live with her brother, leaving her and Alex some privacy. She already talked with Kelly's brother on the phone, James, and he accepted to let her stay in one of their spare bedroom for free, in exchange of some babysitting on her days off. And Kara is really good with kids.

And this is how Kara ended up on front of the biggest house she ever laid her eyes on, and Eliza's house isn't that small. She takes a deep breath and press the doorbell. A high melody resonate from inside the house, and Kara notes that no dogs comes barking. Too bad, she would've liked a fluffy companion.

She doesn't hear any footsteps inside, but after a few seconds, the door opens. And it isn't James.

Kara gapes like a fish out of water in front of the woman who opened the door. She knows she must look stupid, but she's a little taken aback by the woman's beauty. How is it even possible to look this good ? Straight black hair that looks too soft to be real, green piercing eyes and a razor sharp jawline. Kara has the passing thought that she needs to paint this woman at some point. The woman who strangely looks quite familiar.

But she shakes the thought away when she noticed the woman is looking at her with a perfectly sculpted eyebrow raised in amusement.

''Right !'' Kara shakes her head, dropping her backpack to present her hand to the woman, ''Sorry, I'm Kara. Kara Danvers.''

''Miss Danvers,'' The woman takes Kara's hand in hers, which is much smaller and much softer. ''You're here early.'' She lets go of Kara's hand who misses the contact instantly.

''I know. I was supposed to meet my sister before coming here, but she ditched me. So I thought I might come here early, instead of parading in the city with my suitcase.'' The woman raises the second eyebrow and Kara feels like she should've asked before. ''But if it's an inconvinience I can go ! I can just walk around and come back in two hours like I was supposed to ! Yeah, I should do that. I'm gonna do that.''

Kara bends down to take her backpack, but a soft hand suddenly rests firmly on her bicep. She raises her head to meet the woman's amused eyes.

''Don't be silly,'' The woman almost laugh, letting go of Kara when she drops her bag again, ''Let me show you to your room, so you can get yourself comfortable before James and the kids come back.''

Kara picks her bag up again, this time she follows the woman inside the house, noting the expensive furniture and surprisingly tidy house. She stops in front of a framed picture in the entryway. It's a family picture, a professional shot, the kind Eliza payed for them when they adopted Kara.