Chapter - 4 / Offense

Ryan's Diary

Dear Benny- boo,

Today wasn’t bad but the worst day of my entire life. Something happened that caused my respect towards the science teacher to drop completely. I didn't like him before this but now I hate him. He teamed me up with that powder-skinned, baby-faced Asian. How could he!

-Angry Ryan
_________________________________________

That day at school

"Winner winner, Chicken Dinner" Dexter screams as his other two friends run up to him.

They were having a competition. Whoever reaches the homeroom first, wins.

They were running towards the homeroom. As expected, the teacher who was in charge of making sure all the students follow the rule was running after them, screaming that they stop. But they weren't paying any attention to the teacher and raced to their classroom anyway.

"The only reason you won was that someone was pulling my shirt from behind," Alan says, giving Ryan a stern look.

"It's not my fault. I was just trying to win" Ryan says, giving Alan puppy dog eyes. Alan's gaze softens a bit.

"Anyway, where is that old hag who was trying to catch up with us? " Dexter asks.

"Probably somewhere wondering whether to tell our parents we've stolen someone's pants or worse killed someone and threw their body into the lake," Ryan says, thoughtfully.

"Speak of the devil and there she is," Alan says pointing at the hallway.

Ms Bethany was slowly making her way to the youths, gasping for air.

"You're in trouble young men. I'll tell the principal everything and he'll call your parents"  she says, still trying to catch her breath.

"We'll see, " they all say at the same time and enter the classroom, leaving the angry teacher huffing like an angry bull.

_________________________________________

"Alright students, summer break is coming up. I hope you all have fun in the summer" Mr Olsen Cowen says in a happy tone.

"He wants us to have fun?" Alan asks with confusion.

"I can't believe my ears," Dexter says, just as baffled.

"Either I'm hearing things wrong or that man in front of the whiteboard is not Olsen Cowen," Ryan says looking at the teacher suspiciously.

" If he's not our teacher, then who is he?" Alan asks.

"An intruder who looks just like him?" Dexter says.

"What if it's an alien?! What if aliens want to take over our world?!" Ryan says.

"Nah. I don't think so. Aliens have better things to do than take over the world or pretend to be our science teacher" Alan says.

"But you never know," Dexter says, thoughtfully.

"You too! Come on guys, think more realistically" Alan says.

"This is the most realistic explanation I can come up with," Ryan says.

"Hey, you in the back! Pay attention!" The teacher shouts.

The boys turn their heads towards their teacher.

" Now, as I was saying, go to the beach and do surfing, sandcastles, eat watermelons or whatever but before any of you go out to do this fun stuff, I want all of you to make a science project to your liking," he says and the whole class goes " awwwww man"

"See I told you he never wants us to have fun," Ryan says, sadly.

"At least, we know it's actually our teacher," Alan says.

"I would be happy if it wasn't," Dexter says.

"It could be about air, soil, space, water, anything but please be sure to make one. For now, I want everyone to choose a partner to make the project with"  the teacher finishes.

"In the last group project we had done earlier, Ryan and I were partners, So for this project Alan and I are partners," Dexter says and Alan smiles.

" What about me?" Ryan looks around the classroom desperately.

"You can be partners with someone else,"  Alan says.

"But everyone has already chosen a partner," Ryan says.

Alan and Dexter look around and find the only person who doesn't have a partner.

"You know you do have an option" Dexter whispers.

"There's no way I'm gonna be partners with her," Ryan says, giving Dexter an angry look.

"I get it, buddy but whatever happened is in the past and I'm over it already. There's no point in still being mad about it" Alan says placing a hand on Ryan's shoulder.

"No. I can't forgive people who hurt my friends" Ryan says.

"Alright everyone, who did you choose to be your partner?"

Everyone tells the teacher who they teamed up with except for Ryan and Katherine.

" What's wrong with you two?" The teacher asks.

"My friends already teamed up," Ryan says.

"And you?" the teacher asks Katherine.

"I don't need a partner. I can do it on my own" Katherine says.

"Alright then, Why don't you two team up?" the teacher says looking at the two of them.

"No!!" they both scream at the same time.

" Why not?" Mr Cowen asks.

" Because I want to do the project alone," Ryan says.

"Me too, " Katherine says.

"If you two can make good projects on your own then the project you'll make together will be fantastic. I'll be looking forward to it" the teacher says.

" But.." the two of them continue but get stopped by the teacher.

" It's settled. After summer vacation is over, all of you will show me your project and I'll reward the makers of the top three projects" he says.
_________________________________________

"So did you talk to her?" Alan asks Ryan.

"No, and I don't even want to" Ryan replies, sternly.

"Dude, she's your partner. You have to talk to her someday or else how are you going to make a science project together"

"I don't know and I don't care," Ryan says and the two of his friends nod disappointedly.
_________________________________________

"I'm home" Ryan announces.

"Ryan! Your principal called. What is going on? Why don't you behave at school?!" His mom yells.

"Not now mom. I'm not in the mood" Ryan says in a low voice and starts heading upstairs.

"What's that supposed to mean! Ryan!"
His mom shouts again but Ryan pays no attention to her shouts.

He keeps his bag on his desk and plops down on the chair.

This summer vacation is going to be anything but fun. Ryan thinks and sighs.