SEVENTEEN

The sound of someone running toward them pounded on the dirt. Cora jerked her attention toward the broken window. She growled again. "Didn't I instruct you to stay inside?"

"I'm sorry, sister, but I had to see if you were all right."

Whitney looked at who was coming their way and gasped. Sister? Conrad and Cora were... siblings? Whitney was shocked that Cora hadn't disowned her brother yet, considering he was an outlaw.

Not being able to stop the snicker from leaving her mouth, Whitney took joy in the sudden turn of events. "Sister? Cora is your sister?" Whitney looked back at Cora. "And knowing your personality, I'm appalled that you would admit to having him as any kind of relation."

Cora shot a glare toward Conrad. "Get out of here before anyone else sees you."

Whitney chuckled. "Oh, so I was correct, and you don't want anyone knowing he's your brother."

Cora's attention snapped back to Whitney, and she glared, tightening her hold around Whitney's neck. Now the discomfort was settling in her throat, she feared the woman would indeed harm her. But Whitney could only try to tug the other woman's hold away with one hand, since Whitney kept a firm grasp on her cane with the other hand.

"Listen, Mrs. Brooks, it is none of your business, so just keep out of it."

"Cora," Conrad said, reaching a hand to his sister. "Please, don't kill another person. We'll be out of here with the rubies by nightfall."

Shock slapped Whitney, stinging her almost as much as Cora's hand had done to her face. The mayor's wife had killed before? Hope grew inside Whitney. This would be the thing that could get the woman arrested.

"Conrad," Cora muttered tightly, keeping her attention on Whitney, "if you don't leave now, you might be the next person I murder."

"But—"

"Connie!" Cora snapped at her brother, finally glaring at him. "Get out of here now."

The red-headed man's face finally changed, clearly irritated by his sister's words. "Stop calling me Connie. My name is Walter."

"Mr. Conrad?" Whitney's voice squeaked due to the pressure of Cora's fingers still wrapped around her neck. "Don't let your sister drag you down to her level. You are not a killer like she is. You are a better person. I can see it in your eyes."

"Shut up!" Cora growled again and tightened her hands around Whitney's neck.

Although she should wait for Conrad to realize he wasn't like his sister, Whitney didn't want to get strangled to death, either. She dropped her hand and reached between her and Cora. With one hand, Whitney grasped the cane's handle, and with the other hand, she pulled the shield away.

"Cora!"

Conrad's panicked voice made his sister take a step back to see what Whitney was doing. This gave Whitney enough room to slice the blade across the evil woman's bosom, ripping her bodice and cutting her skin. Once Cora released her grip on Whitney's neck, she pushed the woman to the ground and held the tip of the sword toward Cora's neck.

The mayor's wife didn't seem to be worried about the sword, because she stared at her bloody hands as she plucked at her torn dress as if she didn't know what was happening.

Whitney took in deep breaths, trying to regulate her breathing since it had almost been taken from her. But Conrad's angry scream ripped through the air. Whitney glanced his way just as he whipped out a gun and pointed it toward Whitney. No longer was he the brow-beaten brother of Cora. He now looked as evil as his sibling.