Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“Rose! ROSE! Oh no, Rose come on, wake up.” Paka’s frantic voice came. When I opened my eyes, I saw Paka leaning over me with her with a worried expression. I looked at her neck, gazing at necklace.

“Paka? Tell me, where did you get your necklace?” I asked in a choked voice. I already knew the answer, but I needed it explained to me.

Paka sighed and sat down. “You remember don’t you?” She asked and I nodded. “Okay, here goes. I am a witch and I was sent here in order to get you. You are also a witch, but not a normal one. You are the heir to the Witches Crone, in other words, a princess. You are the only one that can bring the shapeshifters and the witches together in harmony. Shapeshifters are the only ones that don‘t get along with witches. Vampires, werewolves, mermaids and fairies all get along with us.”

“So I’m a witch princess AND a shapeshifter? How does that work? Vampires? Mermaids? You mean, they exist?” I asked.

“Yes, they do. I’m not really sure. Even the head of the Witches Crone, which you would know to be kinda like queen, who make the decisions. Anyway, even they don’t know why or how it happened, it never has before. We think it’s because you are the one that’s supposed to unite shapeshifters and witches. You being both will probably help.” Paka shrugged.

"What about you? Aren't you a witch and a shapeshifter?" I asked, tilting my head and raising an eyebrow.

Paka shifted awkwardly and looked down at her feet. "No, I'm only a shapeshifter, but I do have witch blood in me. My mother was a witch, but my father was human. I'm a half-breed." She paused looking back up at me. "My mother is your aunt. We're cousins. Your mother found me after I hid from the Council. She knew I was a shapeshifter, so she kept me hidden before finally sending me here. She gave me your necklace, knowing that I would find you. That was my mission; she keeps me hidden, I find you."

My eyes widen. "My cousin?" I squeaked, standing rigid with shock. Then, without warning, I flung myself at her and pulled her into a hug. “What about my necklace? Where did it go?” Looking down at my neck I wondered out loud, pulling away from Paka.

“I have it. You mother took it from you before the other witches could. Then shegave it to me when I left to get you.” Paka turned away from me and walked over to herdresser. Even though we were alone, she still looked around, uneasily, before crouching down. She whispered a few words, and the bottom drawer shot open. Leaning over it, (so that I couldn’t see ANYTHING! I mean, come on! I’m the witch princess, I want to know what’s in the drawer. Great, now I sound like a witch baby.), she pulled out a necklace that looked identical to hers, but with a gold chain.

“Here. Your necklace has a gold chain, because all royalty have gold chains. It’s how we can tell the difference.” Paka handed me my necklace. I twisted the topaz around in my hand, watching the light bounce off and shine. Lifting it up at to my neck, I clipped it together, letting it hang between my breasts.

"Thank y-" My words were cut off by the sound of glass shattering. I whip around and found myself looking into the eyes of a giant grizzly bear. Frozen with fear, all I do is watch as he raises his right paw and goes to hit me.