Chapter 5- Morgana

Morgana-

We made our way to Camelot a week later. Arthur had been taught the basics of sword-fighting by Cole, had learnt about the ways of Camelot from Guinevere, and about the war between the Pendragons and the Lionhearts from Oak. From me he had learnt nothing but he had come to realise that I had no respect for him.

He had grown used to the idea of being king, but he was still uncertain about his reception, unsure of himself. Oak and Cole had sworn to him that they would be at his side always, no matter what.

I had not. Neither, I noticed, had Guinevere.

Those last days away from Camelot, I had dreams. Prophecies. I knew what would happen. Oak, Cole, Guinevere, they would all abandon me for their new King, and since Arthur’s arrival I had steadily grown more and more distant from those I once called friends. No, more than friends.

Family.

Guinevere had noticed. One night, she had spoken to me. Quietly. Her voice soft, as it always was.

“What’s wrong, Morg?” she had asked. “These past few days, you’ve barely spoken a word to any of us. You haven’t eaten, you haven’t slept properly. What’s wrong, sister?”

Guinevere often referred to me as sister, as the years we had spent together had drawn us as close as sisters. But the tie between us was a fragile one and didn’t have the strength of a blood-tie. We were sisters in name alone, and our relationship was forged by a mutual agreement that we needed each other. But arriving in Camelot… we would drift apart.

“It’s nothing, Guinevere.” I refused to confide in her.

“I know you too well, Morgana. I know you’re lying.”

“It wouldn’t interest you, Ivere. Don’t worry.”

Guinevere looked doubtful. “Morgana. I care about you. Tell me,” she pleaded. I shook my head.

“I’m sorry.”

Guinevere sighed, eyes cast down. “I miss those days when we confided in each other,” she admitted. “What happened between us?” The sadness in her deep brown eyes would have broken my heart, once. Now I felt nothing for the one I had once called a sister.

“Nothing, Ivere. It’s not your fault- don’t worry.”

But I knew she would, and I wished she wouldn’t.