Chapter 6- Cole/Lancelot

Lancelot-

We arrived in Camelot at nightfall. We approached the palace, where the knights stood guard recognised us.

“Lancelot! Bedivere!” the younger of the knights, Sir Mordred, exclaimed. He spotted Guinevere and Morgana and bowed his head. “My ladies.”

Morgana smiled lightly, the first smile I had seen on her face in a long time.

I glanced between them.

“Lancelot…” Lionell, the elder of the knights, took me aside quietly. “Who is your companion?”

I looked back at Arthur, who was watching the reunion silently, before returning my gaze to Lionell.

“He’s the King.”

“Arthur?” Lionell’s eyebrows shot up. “King Arthur?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure?”

“Certain.”

“How do you intend to prove it?”

I shook my head, stumped. “I don’t know. I’m sure Guinevere has a plan, or Bedivere.”

Lionell nodded, distractedly, watching Arthur. “Alright. You’d better go inside, he can take a chamber until…” Lionell shrugged. “Well, until we know if he really is the King or not.”

“Thanks, Lion,” I nodded, grateful. “Bed,” I called. Bedivere looked around. I tipped my head towards the castle, gesturing for us to go in. He nodded and turned back to inform the others of the plan.

“Be careful, Lancelot,” Lionell said, his voice gruff. “I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

We hurried in. Bedivere and Guinevere took Arthur to find his chambers. Morgana disappeared with Mordred. I wandered to find the other knights, wondering where they’d all got to, hoping that they weren’t off fighting in this infernal war.

Hopefully we’d end the war soon. Hopefully Arthur was the rightful King. Hopefully Guinevere or Bedivere had a plan to prove his legitimacy. Hopefully, hopefully. In the past few years, I’d almost forgotten what it was to be hopeful.