Chapter 8

Emma's P. O. V:

I wear a short sleeved leopard printed shirt with my cat paw jewellery set and my black jodhpurs and set with my hair in a ponytail as I go into the tack room to get Soverign's tack.

I was to share my training session with Alex today, and Zoe had hers already. I give Soverign a quick grooming before placing the saddle cloth and saddle on his back, doing up the girth securely.

I then put on his purple bridle before I grab my helmet and tug on my gloves, leading Soverign out to the training field.

When I get there, Marcus was waiting with James and Alex has already started his session. I clip on my helmet before mounting my horse and urging him into a trot before the first jump.

James says as I notice Alex knock a fence over completely, "Failure is not an option! It's win or go home! Alex, shorten your reins and do it again!"

I urge Soverign into a strong canter and we head for our first jump, a wooden plank fence. We clear it with ease and I look between his ears to the next jump.

"Nicely done, Em! Your hands are nice and steady. Just keep Soverign collected and flow with the rest of the course," Marcus calls.

"Did you learn that at the riding academy?" James mocks.

Marcus doesn't respond.

I look back between Soverign's ears as we head for the next jump. We sail over it with ease.

I take Soverign over the course a couple more times before Marcus decides to call it a day. I canter up to him before halting my palomino and dismounting.

Marcus strokes his cheek as he says, "You're doing great, Em. Keep it up."

"Thanks, Marcus," I say, patting Soverign's neck. "I'm gonna work on Aztec for awhile. Come on, boy."

I tug the reins and lead Soverign back to the courtyard where Zoe was just taking Raven inside. I smile at Pin when he turns to me.

"Morning!" I greet as he comes over. Pin's smile doesn't reach his eyes and he has an unreadable look on his features as he strokes Soverign's forelock. "Pin, is everything okay?"

"Sorry, Em. It's just... my mum's back," He tells me.

"Wow. That's intense," I mutter. I know all about his mum from what Pin had told me when we were kids.

"How was practice?" Pin asks.

"It was great. But right now, I'm gonna work a bit more on my new patient," I say. Pin gives me a strained smile and my own grin fades. I gently take his free hand and give it a reassuring squeeze. "Pin, if you ever need to talk, you know you can always come to me, right? I don't want you to shut me out."

Pin nods as he murmurs, "Yeah. Thanks, Em." Looping my right arm through the reins, I pull Pin into a tight hug which he returns. We pull back and Pin asks me, "Would you like to have dinner at my house tonight? You could meet my mum."

I reply, smiling, "Sure. I'd love to."

Pin comes and helps me rub down Soverign and take my tack to the tack room. He even offers to help me clean it when I was going to do that.

I then take Aztec out to the field and let him roam free. I jog lightly in front of the Arabian, trying to let me get to him, but he keeps dodging me.

I go to grip his red halter when a snarky voice calls, "Hey, Horse Whisperer!" Aztec rears up out of fright and gallops off. I whip my head around to see Callum standing outside the fence, smirking back at me. I groan with exaggeration as I slap my hands against my thighs. Great! Thanks a lot, Callum! "Sorry!!"