1: Allerdale at Night.

I stood at the gates of the huge mansion that lay ahead of me. It had a wide landscape area that was covered in snow. The mansion was old and on the verge of crumbling to dust.

I was drenched in the snow, my clothes were frozen and I was shivering. I didn't intend to come to the mansion. There was just something about it that drew me straight to it.

"Allerdale Hall"

I read the name on the gates. Cautiously, I placed my hand on the cold metal and tried to open it.

As soon as my hand touched it, I could see the number of times it had been opened and closed. Mostly for a young gentleman, but every time for a new mistress. I saw the joy on their faces as they entered, but as time went by, their faces slowly turned pale and sick. Like they were being killed, slowly, very slowly. As time passed, each of them stopped moving out of the house and the gates would never be opened. Till the day the next mistress would show up and history would repeat itself.

I saw another lady, who unlike the others, hardly ever stepped out of the gates. There was a darkness to her. Any normal person wouldn't have been able to see it. But I could. I could see how the past was clinging onto her, she was never ready to let go. This was years of history, but to me it was just five minutes.

Bringing myself out of the past, I opened the gate and walked inside. My boots leaving footprints in the snow. I could see machines of sorts, but they were covered in snow just as everything else.

I waited for a while at the huge, rotten doors. Dust, mud accumulated in the gaps.

Taking out my gloves from my purse, I wore them. I had seen enough for the day. I couldn't bear to watch anyone else suffer.

I took a deep breath and opened the door, with a loud bang. A swarm of moths came flying at me. Screaming, I decided to run, but instead of running away, I ran straight into the mansion.

When I came to my senses, I froze in place. This place was beautiful.....and totally disgusting at the same time.

The first thing that attracted me was the red substance oozing from the walls. Some of it was dry, while some flowing down the walls, making it's way to the floor. I noticed the red thing had gotten all over my shoes, and the ground itself was submerged in it.

After a lot of struggling, I managed to get to the staircase and I climbed up a few steps.

Looking at the floor I saw specs of wood. I realised that the wooden floor had sunk below the red clay sort of substance. I scanned the place, as I climbed up the stairs.

The roof was.... non existent. There was a friggin hole in the roof! It was literally snowing inside the house. The railing on the staircase was broken in places. I chose not to lay my covered hands on it cause I'm sure it would break the minute it did that. Some parts, like the one facing the entrance and the ones facing the rooms were broken, sharp wood sticking out.

The design on the railing was extremely detailed and it made flowery patterns. I bet this was an exceptionally beautiful mansion once upon a time.

Thinking about what I just thought, I grabbed the ends of my gloves. After going back and forth, at least ten times, on whether I should do this or not, I finally took off the glove from my right hand.

Carefully placing my hand on the railing, I travelled into its memories.

I saw the day when the mansion was still under construction. A worker, delicately painting the railing, highlighting each detail. Fast forward to seeing all those women again, gracefully dragging their fingers up the cold railing as they made their way around the house.

I walked ahead, to the broken wood, not once lifting my hand from the railing. Analysing the spikes, I looked into the past. But it was blurry, like the past was being tampered with. I saw the lady, pushing the final mistress off of that level, breaking the railing with it. The lady fell to the ground, but as I tried to focus on the face, I couldn't.

I started breathing heavily, my heart rate exceeding limits, the way it did whenever I looked into the past for more than five minutes. But I couldn't stop now.... I tried focusing again. The blurry image becoming clearer. I gripped the spikes tighter. Trying to push myself to see. The face slowly became clear and it was.... Me.

I opened my eyes in absolute fear, and said out loud, "How? That's not-that can't be. I-" I didn't realise when it happened but I got a splinter in my index finger. Drawing my hand back as a reflex, I stood up, still in shock of what I saw and stumbled backwards, my back hitting what I thought was a wall.

"What do you think you're doing here?"

The wall.....please be a living mansion like the movie Beauty and the Beast....spoke in a low, and rough voice, with a British accent.

Dreading each step, I turned around clenching my jaw, completely terrified. I was shivering due to the cold and when I thought I couldn't get any colder, this happens. I was moments away from turning into an ice statue like Anna or Elsa.

I shut my eyes and lowered my head, "I was drenched in the cold snow and needed a place to warm myself up. There were absolutely no hotels nearby and this place looked like it had a fire place and... " I lied about the hotels. I had chosen to come to this mansion. Or rather the mansion had chosen me to come to it.

Slowly I opened my eyes and I looked up at the figure. He was definitely not a wall.

His skin was pale, as white as snow. From his cheek a plume of blood rose, swirling into the air like smoke. He was extremely tall and his hair reached his shoulders. He was well built and was covered in leather and woolen clothes that also seemed to have turned white.

I stared at him for what felt like hours......It's going to be a long night.