12: About the Marvel nerds

Song: What I Put You Through by Conor Maynard

»»»»»»»»»»

I choked.

He raised his brows. "What?"

"What? What do you mean 'what'? Why would we do that?"

"Talk about Sam, you mean?" I nodded. "You have to be less obvious about your feelings if you don't want him to find out."

I rolled my eyes. "He'd never guess."

"Sure. Although, I don't think that'd be a problem if he feels the same way."

My eyes almost popped out of my forehead as I slammed the table with both hands and turned to him fully. "Did he tell you that?"

He raised his hands in surrender. "Woah, looks like someone got excited."

I glared at him. "I'm serious, Ed. Did he tell you that or not?"

"He doesn't need to tell me. After what happened last night, anyone with eyes could see it."

"What happened last night?" I mean the last time I saw Sam was when he stormed away from the party which was basically the last thing I could remember.

"Oh yeah. You said you don't remember."

Oh yeah that.

"And you said nothing happened." He is a terrible liar. He just gave himself away.

I could see the wheels turning in his head as he concurred what to say. I decided to help him. "Was he there when I threw up all over myself?"

He snapped his fingers. "Yeah he was. It was the care in his eyes as he looked at you that gave him away." I was a pinch of salt away from snorting.

I'd hate to be caught lying so I just played along for his sake. "Of course he had care in his eyes, we've been best friends for over a decade."

"There is a thin line between friendship and love."

"Isn't it 'there is a thin line between love and hate'?"

"Just saying, I've heard the line 'We're just friends' and trust me when I say I'm beyond sick of it so let's just fast forward."

I sighed. "I couldn't agree with you more. The friends to lovers story isn't alien to me, but sometimes friends are just friends. And that's me and Sam. If we were soulmates and all that crap, we'd have known by now. Sam and I are really just friends. Trust me, he doesn't feel the same way."

"Every couple is different. It takes some people a lifetime to find a partner, others have been paired since birth."

This conversation was getting too serious for my taste so I punched his shoulder and teased. "So you're not only Dr. Phil? You're the love doctor as well?"

He got my point and just laughed along. "Watching the two of you inspired me."

"So are you ready for that movie?"

"It's gotta be a Marvel movie though."

"Well duh."

"Good to see you've got some taste. Let's do this. On the count of three, you say your favorite Marvel character."

I nodded. I didn't have to think twice about this.

"One, two, three..."

"Spider-Man!" We both yelled at the same time and then we laughed and high fived each other.