CHAPTER VII: The Tale behind the Grief

<<Several hours later with Natsu and his crew>>

The beautiful and tranquil sight of the night was bathing the entire wide sky above the ocean. But it wasn't gonna be like that for much longer. After all, there were only a few more minutes left before the light of the sunrise started being visible from the horizon.

In the meantime, Lucy and Juvia were standing at one side of the fishing ship while checking up the bluenette's diary. The blondie found herself quite surprised at Juvia having spent so many years learning about the ocean's mysteries. But more than that, she got surprised after learning that the stars were the key to finding the mythic trident of Mercphobia.

"Let me see if I understand..." Lucy said. "The map to the trident... is hidden in the stars?"

"That's right" Juvia replied. "That's why I came looking for you. You are the only one I know with wisdom about the stars and its constellations"

Lucy took a long sigh. "V-very well... I'll give a look"

After that, the blondie turned to one side and noticed Natsu leaning on the rail of the ship with a concerned look on his face. Therefore, the blondie decided to approach in order to find out what was really going on.

"Are you okay?" Lucy asked her husband.

"Ah? Of course" Natsu replied with a fake grin that didn't convince Lucy one bit. The blondie easily noticed that the pinkette was actually hiding something else. Something he didn't want her to know for some reason.

"What are you hiding?"

"Eh? Hiding? I'm not hiding anything"

"Oh, please... I know you enough, Natsu. I know when you are lying. Now tell me what is it"

Natsu faced downwards. "I don't know what you are talking about. I've never lied to you since we got married"

"Really? Then why didn't you tell me you had been fired from your job?" The pinkette startled at that moment while turning to face his dear wife. Seems like Lucy knew a lot more than the pinkette had anticipated. "Don't worry... I'm not mad anymore" Lucy then gently took a hold of Natsu's hand while looking at him. "But we can't keep hiding secrets between us, Natsu. Especially now. So please... tell me"

Natsu took a long sigh of defeat and realized Lucy was totally right. Therefore, he finally agreed to tell her the entire tale of how his fate got tangled with the one of the mighty captain Ignia... a very long time ago.

<<Meanwhile with Laxus>>

Laxus and what little remained of his people had all been forced to abandon their magnificent ship and get aboard the monstrous shipwreck of Ignia. The blonde pirate and the ghostly captain had actually made an agreement several hours ago: Laxus promised Ignia he would find Natsu by the time of the sunrise... or else, he would give him his life instead.

The blonde pirate was using Natsu's magical compass which he got from the witch under his ship to guide him. That was the only option he had at that point of finding the pinkette before his time ran out. However, it unfortunately didn't really seem to be working at all. Because the sunrise was already starting to be visible on the horizon.

"The sun is up... And so is your time" Ignia said while drawing out his sword. "Any last words, pirate?"

"Not to disagree, but the precision of our accord ends at sunrise" Laxus replied. "This is nothing but the first light, far from a fully rising sun. And I know you to be a man of honor"

"Heh... Honor? You know nothing about me"

"Actually, I do. I know what it is like to be bested by Natsu Dragneel. Not physically, but morally and psychologically. He's an enemy of both of us"