Night One

I opened my mailbox, hoping desperately for a Christmas card that wasn't from my mom or siblings. That's the sucky thing about this holiday. It was just a constant reminder that you didn't have any friends. I felt like Charlie Brown. Instead of being greeted with emptiness, I was instead greeted by a card. It informed me of a secret santa event. Some of my friends were involved.

Apparently, I'd gotten Jake. That was cool with me. We were in a band together, so I knew exactly what to get him. I put the card in my pocket. As I wondered back inside of my house, I wondered who got me. Who would have to try and give me something that I might like?

I flicked back on the television, searching for a cheezy holiday movie. I settled on Home Alone, ready to watch some kid make a fool of robbers. Can you imagine your whole damn family forgetting you? The movie really made light of a depressing situation. I was just getting ready to watch him put on aftershave when my doorbell rang.

I went back to the door, curious about what might sit on the other side. I was disappointed to only find a box. It was probably just a present I'd ordered for Creature. I brought it into the kitchen, leaving it on the counter while I dug through the junk drawer for scissors.

I found the scissors, and I dragged them across the top of the box, slicing through the packaging tape. Once I did that, and cut the sides, I pulled the flaps open. Inside sat a copy of The Crow on a DVD disk. Attached was a letter.

Dear Johnnie,
As your secret santa, I can't think of better way to finally reveal to you that I'm in love with you. Enjoy present number one a little early. There'll be more to come.
XOXO,
Your secret santa

I looked up from the note, picking up the disk. Who was not secret santa? Who was in love with me? And multiple gifts! That's way over the top! I decided the best way to honor my secret santa would be to watch the disk.

Right now.

I walked back over to my TV, bending down to the disk player. I turned it on, and then popped the disk into it. I grabbed the remote and a blanket, laid back on the sofa, and got ready to watch my new movie.

&&&&&

After the movie was over, I yawned. I stood up and stretched for a minute. I guess if my secret santa has already gotten me something, I should start my shopping now. Around this time of year, shelves empty like it's going out of style. I hung around the house in shoes because Doc Martins made me feel really fucking cool, so I didn't even need a minute to prepare myself as I walked out the door and to my car.

I was on the hunt for Jake's present. I hoped it wouldn't take all night.