Night Nine

Jake had told me to meet him in the park for today's present. I was curious why he'd wanted me to meet him here instead of at my house like we'd been meeting. That was until I found what he'd gotten me. A tree in the park had been strung with exclusively red lights, and Jake was sitting under it. He had a Santa had and a huge grin on. "Johnnie!" He called to me. "You're finally here!"

"It's not really that late. How'd you manage to string the tree without getting in trouble?" I nodded to his work. He looked back, admiring it.

"I have my ways. I did it for you, though. You're a criminal by association." He laughed after he said it. I didn't find it that funny, but I didn't say so either. Jake trotted back over to the tree. "There's something here for us though. C'mere." He motioned for me to join him on the ground, so I did.

He popped open a rosé. "You're not supposed to have that here," I told him nervously, looking around. "You're gonna get us both in trouble. I really don't wanna spend the night in jail!" I was keeping my voice low so that I didn't get us in trouble.

"Johnnie, no one's gonna care that we've got a little wine to share in the park when it's nighttime. All of the soccer moms are gone by now, so no one's kids are going to see us lightly buzzed." He poured me a glass I hadn't noticed that he had. Jake did the same for himself, holding his glass up in toast. "To us."

I rolled my eyes, tapping my glass to his. "To us," I echoed. After I took a sip, I grimaced. "That's awful. Did you get cheap wine?"

Jake cringed as he swallowed, too. "Yikes, I didn't think it was gonna taste that bad." He looked at me, disappointment written all over his face. "I'm sorry about that. I wanted this to be special, but not for bad wine."

I waved my hand. "It's alright. You didn't know it wasn't gonna be good."

He sighed. "Are you really gonna make me wait until Christmas?"

"Of course."

"Why? What did I ever do to hurt you?"

"It's currently up in the air if you were trying to poison me with this horrible wine." I stuck my tongue out at him playfully. He giggled in response. "I just need a little time to get my thoughts together, okay? I promise I'll tell you when I'm ready."

Jake pulled on my hair, making it impossible to see. "If you're blind unless you tell me, does that change anything for you?"

"Jakeee," I groaned. "Get my hair out of my face."

"Not until you tell me! Tell me!" His tone was getting angry. "Tell me how you really feel, dammit!"

"You have to be patient!" I stood up, brushing my hair away from my face. "Stop trying to force me to love you! It's only making it harder to pretend." It slipped out, and I'd only half meant it. I covered my mouth though when I saw how hurt Jake was by that. "Oh, Jake. I'm-"

"Don't. Don't bother." He stood up. "I'll just give you your last few presents and be on my way."