二 : nothing more than a best friend to you

"you've got dirt on your collarbone

"you've got dirt on your collarbone." jungwon said, wiping it off with his glove. "why were you looking there?" you asked, pushing his hand away. he tilted his head, confused. "i'm just being a good friend. what's the matter?" jungwon scoffed and smeared the dirt on your thigh, serves her right.

you rolled your eyes and turned your head back to the flower pot. "even the daisy's prettier than you." he muttered, silently detonating. unfortunately, his every insult had travelled in and out of your ears. you rolled your eyes at every one of them.

he doesn't look any better than my handsome hyacinth anyways.

the silence lingered for a few minutes, not even jungwon's whispers were heard anymore. as the both of you covered the roots of your plants in soil, the "cogwheels" in your brain were functioning as you tried to think of a topic to chat about. sadly enough, nothing came up.

by then, the silence had been lingering for too long, and jungwon could not keep going like that. "i heard from the old man across the street mention a ball," he said, breaking the silence. "apparently, everyone's invited." something lit up in your eyes, a slight smile formed on your lips.

"really?" you asked excitedly. "not that i want to go, though" you said, clearing your throat awkwardly. "it's fine, i'm quite excited myself." jungwon said, giving you a reassuring smile. "it'll be our first time in the royal castle's ballroom! exciting, isn't it?" you hummed in response, you were busy coming up with fake scenarios in your head.

suddenly, jungwon stood up, stretching. "looks like my daisy is going to the front yard!" he exclaimed, marching innocently away from the garden. i thought we were friends. how could he leave me here? you picked up your flower pot and chased after him, panting as soon as you caught up with him.

"i heard the royal family had passed out the invitations this morning. have you received yours?" jungwon asked, his dimples showing as he glanced at you. "no, i haven't checked the mail yet. heeseung kind of.. ate it." jungwon tittered, that's funny. "i don't think we're invited, though. we're too near to being lowlifes, why would they let us into such a place and dance?" he said, sighing.

"goodness, don't think that way. you have to be positive, won." you said. he sighed again. he's been positive his entire life. he's been hoping you'd notice something. now that he's started to think negatively, you're trying to give him hope. why so much conflict in life, hmm?

"i do hope we get invited, though." that time could not come sooner. a panting boy ran towards your house's direction, holding a piece of paper. he was fanning himself with his hand, he was clearly out of breath. "may i help you?" jungwon asked the boy, standing in front of you.

the boy looked up from the ground and took a deep breath. "is a lee y/n here?" he asked, oh? just as you were about to answer, jungwon spoke again. "why the sudden question?" he asked, eyeing the boy skeptically. "her invitation was sent to the wrong address, i'm trying to-" the boy stopped, taking a deep breath. "-i'm trying to return it." he said, holding out a letter.

jungwon took the letter into his hands, is it my invitation?, you thought, smiling inside. "why, thank you for returning this." jungwon said, passing the paper to you. "now may i request you go home?" he asked, earning a quick nod from the still panting boy. the black haired boy walked away, loud complains about the weather tracing his footsteps. "you couldn't even spare me a single chance to ask for his name." you scoffed as soon as the boy was out of sight.

jungwon looked at you, shocked. "he was just returning a letter! are you that tired of being a lonely girl?" you glared at him, i do not need a man to mend this pain. you turned around, walking away from him. "where are you going!?" jungwon yelled, "nowhere special!" you yelled back at him. jungwon shook his head and ran after you. he was always there to make sure you wouldn't be alone. he was always there.