五 : love's compass that leads me through this fog

"wow

"wow.." heeseung let out, staring at the castle's entrance in awe. the both of you were completely amazed. the descending evening mist accompanied the exquisite sight, leaving you and heeseung addicted. "welcome, mr and ms lee." the voice of the guard had snapped the both of you out of your fantasies.

you blinked a few times, a variety of description-less expressions flashing on your face before you walked into the palace with heeseung. an endlessly spreading smile found its way on your lips. your happiness had lost its limit that night. as soon as the both of you had step foot into the ballroom, multiple gasps were heard.

the ballroom looked even more glamorous than the nobles had described. "it's beautiful." you said under a trance. the deeper the both of you wandered, the louder your heartbeats grew. it was overwhelming. the palace was ginormous, how much more till the end?

"y/n!" your turned your head, squealing at the sight of a sparkling jungwon. his outfit was lovely, his looks were as charming as ever. he ran towards you, wrapping your body in his arms, enjoying the contact. "i can't believe that it's you, jungwon." you laughed. he looked too attractive to even explain, he was almost unrecognisable.

"can't say that you look like that awkward adolescent you were yesterday." he said, breaking the hug. jungwon looked at heeseung, chuckling at the smile on the older male's face. "are you trying to impress my sister?" heeseung asked, teasing jungwon. he shook his head, laughing. "i would never." while the both of them conversed with each other, you walked towards the small stage.

the music that was being played had you under a trance. ah, how pleasing. as you continued to explore the ballroom, your eyes laid on a slender figure. the princess. the artiste of the kingdom. she was beautiful. the way she stood in the centre of the stage while playing her violin had made even your eyes smile in joy. she looked so effortlessly graceful.

time passed by rather quickly, but you paid it no mind until jungwon tapped on your shoulder, causing you to turn around. "would you like to dance with me?" he asked, smiling. you bit your lip, which had caused a bit of conflict. "is she gonna say no..?" jungwon thought. you wanted to say no, but you didn't want to break his heart. you were never careful with your words in the past, maybe to avoid a wound on a heart, you need to lie.

you forced a smile, "i've got to head to the bathroom for a bit, excuse me." you said before walking away, leaving jungwon with a frown. needless to say, you were the cause of that small crack in his heart. as you walked away, people started to melt in dances. they looked so proper. they obviously knew what they were doing, unlike the y/n who was running away from a heartbroken someone.

your eyes wandered around the ballroom. you were searching for someone to dance with, not knowing that you were ignoring someone who had been dying to melt into an enchanting dance with you. your legs continued to steer away, until your eyes landed on someone. in that small ribbon laced around you, a familiar, yet unfamiliar face laid their eyes on you. it was an adolescent child.

his eyes shone brighter than any source of light in that stretched out ballroom. he didn't break the eye contact between the both of you. it was as if he felt it too. your heart skipped a beat as he started to walk towards you with a slight smile. your cheeks were undeniably heating up, my goodness.

that soft gaze of his was so familiar, where had you seen it before? you were lost in your thoughts, the boy had already held your hand. "may i?" he asked, earning a slow nod from you. your heartbeats loudened, and that mere contact was the cause. you were distracted by his eyes that stared endlessly at you, even the boy who had been watching you since the start was out of your sight.

jungwon stared at you, a sad smile appeared on his face. he wanted to be the one you'd share a dance with, but once more, i drown in you again.

the music stopped, but the silence had not a single chance to pause that bewitching dance the both of you had melted into. maybe, it was love at first sight, but no. what the both of you felt that night was something more and less than that. it was the reincarnation of something that had already happened before. it was the reincarnation of something that was once forced to be torn.

that was the feeling of falling in love with a stranger who could never be yours. his hand went from your waist to your face. he stroked your cheek with his cold hand. his velvet skin had pressed itself against yours. a smile appeared on your face, you enjoyed that moment. that moment when you were just a soon-to-be damsel in distress.