Chapter 1.1 - Construction And The Launching Of The Titanic

The Construction of Titanic began on March 31, 1909.
When the first keel plate of the ship was laid in the Harland & Wolff Shipyard Belfast, Ireland.

The Olympic’s construction had begun three months earlier. The two ships were constructed side by side. Over 15,000 workers were needed for these plans come into a reality. Constructing the Titanic would cost 8 employees their life working on such a dangerous construction site.

It took over a year to frame the ship. Large steel plates were riveted to the frames, it took more than three million rivets to hold the steel in place.

Harland & Wolff constructed huge gantries, moving cranes, and lifts, it is called the Arrol gantries.

A gantry is a crane system that can carry materials and workers to the heights and depths of the ships.

On May 31st, 1911,

The 26,000-ton hull of the Titanic was launched into the water.
22 tons of soap and tallow were spread on the slipway to lubricate the ship’s passage into the River Lagan.

Large crowds, press and dignitaries came to witness this event with some members of the audience doubting that such a mass of steel would actually float.