Chapter 1.3 - The Sea Trials

Titanic’s sea trials was scheduled April 1st 1912, but the trials were delayed for a day due to bad weather.

Sea trials was scheduled the next day, on Tuesday, April 2nd 1912, two days after her fitting out was finished and eight days before she was due to leave Southampton on her maiden voyage.

Titanic’s sea trials would be looked back as one of the great successes of her short life. R.M.S Titanic sailed down the river Lagan in front of a curious audience who had gathered to watch this gigantic vessel finally leave its docks and head towards the Irish Sea.  It was here that she would first move under the power of her own steam.

The sea trials consisted of a  crew of stokers, greasers, firemen, White Star officials and representatives from the Board of Trade to determine the seaworthiness of Titanic.  No cabin staff were believed to be on board for the sea trials

During the sea trials, activities and tests were undertaken to determine the maneuverability, speed and stopping capacity of Titanic.  These statistics that now exist are really the only hard evidence of what the Titanic was capable of.  It is fair to assume that the Titanic was not operating at full capacity during these trials and as a result we may never know her full capability.
After six hours of sea trials, Titanic left Belfast at noon for the 550-mile journey to Southampton, under the command of Captain Herbert Haddock, the first captain of the Titanic. The journey to Southampton would prove to be an uneventful one.

END OF CHAPTER 1