Chapter 1.2 - The Fitting Out

Fitting out is the process of making an interior space suitable for occupation.

Chapter 1.2.0 - Introduction to Fitting Out

To power the largest movable structure ever would require an enormous power source, and in the early 1900s, the source was coal-powered steam.

Her engines, funnels, propellers, and other superstructure were installed in fitting-out.

Fitting-out took longer than expected due to RMS Olympic's on-going repair.

On February 3, 1912, in the Thompson Graving Dock, Titanic was dry-docked for fitting out. Beautiful interiors were added to this unsinkable ship. Grand Staircase, the Café Perisien, and the dining rooms were arranged.

Chairs, tables, and vases are arranged. Cabins were set for the passengers.

She was so elegant, that everyone wants to board this ship.

DID YOU KNOW? Titanic had three functional funnels; The fourth was used to ventilate smoke from the ship's kitchens, etc.

Chapter 1.2.1 - The Funnels

Carlisle's original design of the Titanic was efficient that it was originally conceived with only three funnels to service the massive boilers some 150 feet below. White Star thought that a ship of such grandeur must possess four funnels. The funnels were constructed off-site and attached after the Titanic had left dry-dock.

The Titanic had 29 Scotch-type boilers, there were 24 double-ended and 5 single-ended, with 3 furnaces at each end. A total of 159 coal burning furnaces heated the water and sent the steam to the reciprocating engines. They were spread out over 6 Boiler Rooms, numbered from the Engine Room.

Chapter 1.2.2 - The Interior Designs

The interiors of the Titanic were placed in different areas of the ship. There were sixteen (16) watertight compartments, eleven vertically closing watertight doors could seal off the compartments incase of an emergency.

Officers' quarters, gymnasium, public rooms and first-class cabins, plus the bridge and wheelhouse were placed on the uppermost decks of the Titanic, the boat deck and the Promenade deck. The ships' lifeboats were also carried in this part of the ship. Tall funnels of the ship were placed above the boat deck.

By late January, 1912 the date of Titanic's maiden voyage had been officially announced as 10 April 1912, Although all four of Titanic's funnels are up, they have not yet been painted.