love is a mixtape

Flipping the sign that says closed so that it now says open will always be my favorite part of the day. It reminds me of my father. When I was small he used to make me work after school in this very bookstore and it sparked my love for reading.

  My job was to flip that very sign that hasn't changed since we bought this place. It's called Arsenal and he named it after my mom, her name is Arden and he thought it rhymed. I was too scared to tell him that it wasn't a very good name but since he's gone it just stuck with me.

    He passed away not too long ago in December of 2014. Even if he were still here I wouldn't have built up the courage to tell him the name he chose sucked. He loved it too much so I had to love it too.

  It's now three years later and I'm opening up his store for the day as I've done for the past three years. Turning on the golden lights hanging over the oak bookcases never gets old. The smell of leather wraps around my body as I walk over to the countertop and place my bag down on the bar stools. Arsenal has always been my second home, it's where I grew up.

  Last year I decided to turn this bookstore into a coffee shop too, which meant I had to learn how to be a barista, which was not the easiest but it was well worth it. Luckily my best friend Jo has experience.

  Arsenal is Located on Beachwood Dr in Los Angeles so it's usually quiet but I do get a bunch of college students working on their assignments now and then. Most of the time it's cute old couples coming inside to grab a coffee. 

  I turn on my playlist for the store which is usually just all classical music. Sometimes I'll play on the piano my dad installed a long time ago. He used to let me play when customers came in. It's been a while since I've done that. I don't even remember the last time I touched it.

 It's weird owning your own business. I didn't really choose it. I'm the only one who could've taken over after my dad passed. I try not to think about it too much. Business is doing decent honestly. Especially since Mercury and I are doing amazing here.

    Mercury is my cat. My big, fluffball ginger cat is my best friend in the whole world. He's about five years old but he still acts like a little kitten. He isn't really a bother here so he just roams around and sleeps.

 He isn't really a bother here so he just roams around and sleeps

    It's why I'm grateful to call Arsenal my own. You can have your cat with you at all times.

 I get behind the counter cleaning my espresso machine knowing I'm gonna need a shot or two to wake myself up. The bell rings signaling someone walked through the door. I look over to see a cute little old man with a cap saying "I'm with her," a smaller elderly woman follows behind him with a cap that says, "I'm with him," elderly love. Gross.

"Hey, guys welcome to Arsenal, if you need any help today please let me know." I love elderly people but if they have a better love life than me I'm allowed to be sad about it. They look so cute hand in hand searching for books. I admire them for a while before one of them speaks.