CHAPTER 21: LOSING

SAL

           After Kenneth found his son sleeping on the stoney floor of his church's garden, he locked him in the house and didn't let him out until much, much later. I felt awful. This feeling resonated with me until college and made me want to do nothing. In college, the feeling mixed with other stressors to the point where I couldn't tell what was making me upset anymore. I was numb.

           Firstly, I let Todd down. In the beginning, all of this was for him. He'd been through a lot. I wanted to prove that I could make someone else who had gone through similar things to him happy. I failed.

           Secondly, I proved that Ashley and Larry were right: it was a bad idea to hang out with him. Not because he'd fuck things up for me, but because I fucked things up for him. I wanted to make them see that we'd turn out fine in the end. I failed that, too.

           Thirdly, I missed Travis. I couldn't see him and that made me anxious. I'd left him with his father. Anything could happen. He could be abused. He could be killed, even. I trusted nothing about Kenneth Phelps. And I was right not to.

           But this wasn't the end. In fact, this was a mere prologue to a grand (and fatal) adventure.