⁰³. ᵀʰᵉ ᴼᵖᵉⁿ ᴿᵒᵃᵈ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 || 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘖𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘙𝘰𝘢𝘥

THE MORNING BLUES WERE ONE OF THE ONLY THINGS THAT CAME AS NORMAL TO CHRIS. Something about them came comforting to him and a chance for him to relax. Able to enjoy the little things as the early morning sky beside the fires at night. Most nights, when there was a huge fire, he sat alone near the fire and ate. Sometimes conversing with a few others, but it hadn't been as often as it may have once been. When he was a complete shit show of a person, mentally and physically.

Sat at a chair outside of the small building he and Malcolm slept in. A cigarette was heavy in the grasp of his fingers as he tugged the cargo jacket tight around his body. Keeping absolute warmth to his body as he brought a shaking hand to his lips. Placing the filter of the cigarette between his chapped lips and inhaling deeply. Not acknowledging the sound of a door opening up behind him.

"Good morning." Archie greeted with a warm smile as he made his way to a seat beside the oldest Jones sibling.

Chris exhaled once he pulled the cigarette away. Licking his lips as he used his thumb, flicking the filter and knocking the leftover ash on the end of the cigarette off. Too preoccupied with his mind to truly give a fulfilling greeting to the other boy.

And it took a few moments to find the words to say anything. But it had been Archie to continue, a soft smile on his lips. "Everyone misses you."

A scoff came from Chris. "I highly doubt that, Arch," he said. "But if they did, I wouldn't have to hear about all the resentment about me going on back home."

"Malcolm," Archie muttered. "He's been visiting, hasn't he?"

All Chris could offer was a soft nod. "Has been for a while now," Chris confirmed. "Told him to visit once and a while. See if any of you were on a course of solving another murder."

"You mean if Betty and Jug were trying to solve a murder." Archie corrected as Chris laughed softly. "Yeah, you're right there."

After a little bit, Chirs looked at the redhead. "How's Veronica?" He asked. "She's, uh, she's good," Archie said. "Last time I saw her she had her own underground club and everything."

"I mean, how is she, Arch?" Chris reiterated. "How is she about me?"

That had made Archie hesitant. Pursing his lips as he shifted in his seat. "I don't know, man," he admitted. "After you left and the Black Hood was in town, she and Olivia have grown to dislike the idea of you."

"Well, I don't blame Olivia," Chris sighed. "Should've expected them to feel such a way."

It was sad, really. How far someone could come with another and how fast things could come tumbling down. Chris knew that when he woke up in the hospital bed, he had to go. He couldn't face any of them after the horrible truth that was what he did. No ounce of words or actions could patch over the simple fact that he fucked everything up. Veronica would move on and Chris would be left picking up the pieces of his past. Hopeful that by the time he returns to her, he had reassembled everything and fixed it to her liking. But that chance had gone away a long time ago.