⁰⁹. ᵀʳᵒᵘᵇˡᵉ ⁱⁿ ᴾᵃʳᵃᵈⁱˢᵉ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 || 𝘛𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘦

"COME SEE YOUR DAUGHTER."

That was all Hiram had said in the phone call. Quick and simple; Chris raced out of his apartment in a matter of seconds.

So, when he comes walking into the Pembrooke, he isn't at all surprised to see Hiram Lodge waiting for him. There's small talk, but nothing too serious. Hiram had led him up to the rooms and to the living room where Chris felt his entire world tremble under the sight of his daughter. He knew he would see her sooner or later, but that didn't change the fact of disbelief he felt seeing the chubby-cheeked toddler. What made it feel better was the addition of Hermione, smiling at him as he lifted the baby into his arms.

A bundle of joy was what he would describe the child. Cassy's brown orbs looked up at him curiously, probably wondering who this man was that was holding her. "Da da." Chris' eyes snapped to Hiram and Olivia, both now smiling warmly at them.

"When you were gone, Veronica showed Cassy many pictures of you," Hiram explained. "Although she may not say it, some part of her knew that Cassy would see you. I sure did."

"How long has she been talking?" Chris inquired, seating Cassy on his lap as she played with the rings cuffed around his fingers.

"A month now," Olivia said. "She knows small words. But enough that we can understand her and what she wants. Veronica's been trying to teach her some new words."

"Is that so?" Chris muttered, looking down at his daughter. "Has mama been teaching you some new words? Soon enough, you'll be swearing like an Irishman when your my age, kid."

The group laughed softly, enjoying one of the very few bright moments. Although Hiram despised Southside and used everyone for his gain, he could see something in Chris. Maybe it was the killer inside of him. Or the potential he held in the growing enterprise Hiram was building. What he did know was that, unlike his prior employees, Hiram had bigger plans for Chris. One's that he would need the boy for till an unspecified date. But even then, he wasn't planning on doing anything to Chris.

Because of the look in his eyes when he looked down at Cassy, Hiram was sure that's how he looked when Veronica came into the world. There is no greater pain than dividing a father from their daughter. And there is no greater strength than the wrath of a father.

The sound of a phone ringing drew Olivia's and Chris' attention to Hiram who sighed. It was coming from his office. "I have some business to attend to," Hiram announced. "I'll bring out the finest whiskey when I'm done."