11. The significance

Lisa arrived downstairs in the mid-afternoon

Lisa arrived downstairs in the mid-afternoon. As I cleaned the kitchen, Bea was strapped to my chest in the carrier.

"Good morning." I cracked a grin.

"Hey," she groggily said.

My body abruptly awoke with a strong desire. She embodied the term "scruffy." Her hair was rumpled, and in the light, it was clear that she'd been growing out her stubble.

Her muscles appeared to be painted on a grey fitted t-shirt. Don't even get me started on how hot her ass looked in those gym shorts.

"How is she doing?" She asked. My body reacted even more as she took a step closer to check on Bea.

"She's sound asleep."

"That makes sense. The sun is shining brightly. I should've known better this little princess loves to sleep at this hours." She smiled then she looked into my eyes. "How are you?"

"I'm feeling good. You were amazing last night."

"That's what they say all the time." She gave me a wink with a playful smile on her sweet face.

"Thank you again," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Please stop thanking me." Her expression became solemn and serious. "You know...every time I asked how you were doing, you said you were fine. Last night, you didn't look fucking okay to me. You lied."

"Lisa, I'm responsible for everything. What is anyone else going to do for me?"

"Has your mother ever paid you a visit?"

"She came to the hospital when Bea was born, but she didn't stay to help. She's apparently more concerned with things like going to Cancun with her boyfriend and selling those multi-colored leggings all over the Internet. Priorities, you know."

"Unfuckingbelievable." She sighed. "Grandma would have helped," she said after looking around the house.

"Of course she would have." I closed my eyes for a moment, thinking of my grandmother, before returning to my mother. "As for Jessica, I don't want her with me in the first place. Having to deal with her would be like having two babies. "