17. The farewell

While I was making coffee in the kitchen, Lisa was still sleeping

While I was making coffee in the kitchen, Lisa was still sleeping. It was a regular leisurely Sunday morning until I received a simple text message that turned my world upside down. I moved my gaze to Lisa's phone, which was charging on the kitchen counter.

Jisoo: Okay. When you've made your decision, give me a call.

Jisoo?

My heart began to race as I remembered that Jisoo was her ex-girlfriend and the only long-term relationship she'd had aside from Winter. What exactly did that imply? They'd been conversing?
I hadn't given it a second thought about whether spying was acceptable or not; I needed to know. I read the two additional messages above it as I scrolled up.

Jisoo: Have you thought about it any further?

Lisa : Yeah. I need a little more time.

I started to feel a strong sense of dread. I believed that last night had marked a turning point in our relationship. Lisa had given me the impression that I could completely rely on her. It was as if someone had just dumped a bucket of icy water over my head to wake me up from a hallucination when I realised that she had been in contact with her ex and had been hiding something from me.

I became aware of the drizzle outside while gazing blankly out of the huge kitchen window. It would be a chilly, bare day. She walked downstairs without me even turning around. She kissed Bea, who was playing on the mat nearby, with a loud smack of her lips.

My entire body tensed up as she approached from behind me and pressed her morning wood on my ass while kissing my neck and said, "Good morning."

She could see by the look on my face when I turned around that something was wrong.

Her face became glum. "Rosie...talk to me."

I passed the desk and handed her her own phone instead of responding to her. What is it that you need extra time for?

Lisa blinked a few times while gazing down at it. "I was going to discuss something with you today. I didn't want to ruin Bea's first Halloween by doing so."