Chapter 19: The Stranger's Call

"Ivory, are you sure you're ready for this?" I asked her worriedly as she put her hand cannons in her belt.

"Positive!" She exclaimed. "I'm so tired of staying home all day while you and Maya go collect bounties! I crave action! I demand vengeance for my injury!"

"It was Maya's fault you were injured..." I sighed.

"And I intend to take all my blind fury out on the Darkness." She laughed maniacally.

"Excuse me?" I shrank back a bit.

"Urgent transmission incoming on all channels from The Speaker." My Ghost said hurriedly as he started playing the transmission.

"Nothing is more important now. We believe the Hive are engaged in a ritual that is draining The Traveler of its Light. Whatever power they wield must be understood... and destroyed."

"Are you serious?!" I shouted excitedly. "Where's Maya? We have to go! We have to go now!"

"Dude, chill." Ivory chuckled, grabbing my arm.

"Don't tell me to 'chill'!" I cried. "I died searching for the Traveler, only to wake up several centuries later and find out he was defeated in battle! If there's something I can do to help him, you better believe I will do it!"

"Zero, you died crying over my corpse." Maya chuckled as she approached us.

"And how did you die? Oh right, while I went looking for the Traveler you went and killed yourself gambling." I retorted.

"And how did I die gambling? Oh right, your girlfriend murdered me." She glared at Ivory playfully.

"And why did I slaughter you? Oh right, my mind was being controlled by your kind and I had no emotions to figure out that what I was doing was wrong." Ivory glared back.

"And how did our kind control you? Oh right, the Traveler brought us into the Golden Age which allowed the manufacture of your kind." I chuckled.

"So if the Traveler is the reason we all died in the first place, why are we fighting for him now?" Ivory asked.

"It's the reason we brought you back in the first place, you ungrateful bastards!" My Ghost exclaimed angrily.

"Hey, chill." I laughed as I petted him awkwardly. "We're gonna do the mission. Right?" I looked towards Maya and Ivory, who were still glaring at each other. "Girls?" They both turned to me and nodded before stepping away from each other awkwardly. "Somebody is going to die today..." I muttered under my breath as I led the way to our ship.

~~~

"This ritual could be happening in any one of their thousands of chambers." Maya's Ghost informed us as we landed the ship. "If we can find cracks deep enough, I can map the entire Hive fortress."

"You mean like this one here?" Ivory calls from a short distance away, pointing at a large crack on the ground. Robo scanned it.

"Okay, good scan, but not enough to locate the ritual yet. Let's keep looking." He said.

We looked around for a few minutes longer, taking out Fallen enemies whenever necessary along the way.

"Found one!" I shouted to the team. My Ghost scanned it.

"Hold on... Alright, I got it. But we have to go deeper into the Temple of Crota."

"Again?!" We all cried in unison.

"Yes, again." My Ghost probably would have glared at us if he had actual eyes.

I summoned my sparrow. "Who wants to race?" I asked the girls.