26 | Blessed with Magic

On December 19th, the first snowfall of winter fell over Thorne Point like powdered sugar on Agatha's almond cakes, coating the city in a white silence that stretched for miles

For the first time since they'd known each other, Cora invited Eva over, with a promise from her family that they'd be on their best behavior. When the doorbell rang, announcing Eva's arrival, she leapt from a chair in the kitchen, nearly knocking over the two cups of hot chocolate that were cooling on the island.

"She's here," she alerted her family, as she bounded to the front door, nerves creating a host of feelings in her belly. There was always the possibility that Eva wouldn't like her family and the other way around.

Cora peeped through the glass window in the door. Eva waved. From the looks of it, her arms wrapped around her, she would rather be in the warmth of the Emersons home.

"It's about time," Eva said with a wide grin when Cora opened the door.

"Hey there, Eva." Strands of Eva's hair brushed Cora's cheek as they hugged. "Your hair's all wet from the snow," Cora said, pulling away to lift a strand of Eva's straightened hairdo.

"I know but getting invited to my bestie's house for the first time is totally worth it. It shouldn't revert too much anyway." Eva stomped her feet and shivered. "Are you going to invite me in or what? It's a full-on blizzard out here."

She wasn't lying. Cora closed the door behind her. "You should wear it curly more often, E. I think you'd look so cute."

"Yeah, well," Eva said, as Cora took her coat to hang in the hall closet. She then led her down the hall, into the kitchen to warm up. "Your house is amazing, Cor." Behind her glasses, Eva stared—thunderstruck.

Cora beamed. "It's my great-grandmother's. She's kind of the fashionista in the family, besides myself." She tossed her hair over her shoulder jokingly. "I wish you could meet her, but she's hard to keep track of."

Eva laughed. "She sounds fascinating and has fantastic taste. I see where you get it from."

"Do you want something to drink?" Cora asked. "We have hot chocolate."

"Yes, please," said Eva. When she'd been seated at the center island, Cora placed a cup of hot chocolate in front of her. She watched as Eva took a sip. She wore the same expression she'd had stepping into the Emersons home, one of curiosity and awe.

If only she knew the truth, the Emersons were wondrous women.

"How is it?" she asked, wondering if she could taste it, the magic. Cora had decided that gingerbread stood for friendships and memories to be made.

Eva held up her thumb. "It's delicious."

Cora had asked her grandmother to help her do magic in other ways, creating tasty meals was one of them. Gingerbread hot chocolate was her second foray in the kitchen, if she counted her grandmother's birthday cake.