Epilogue

The ghouls had come out to play at the Emersons New Year's Eve party

It seemed almost every magical creature in Thorne Point had showed up to celebrate. From vampires to werewolves and immortals Cora had longed thought were extinct, Mariam Emerson's extensive guest list had brought out magical beings from every corner of the city.

The bass from music on the speakers made the floors and walls tremble harder than her mother's shouting. Cora felt it in her teeth, as she took a long sip of her grandmother's nonalcoholic celebratory punch. The sweet, golden beverage made her smack her lips.

Twenty minutes to midnight and she'd seen no sign of Beau, the rooms in the Emerson house so flooded with people it'd been hard to make out his freckled face in the throng.

She set her drink down on the coffee table, heaving herself up from her spot on the couch in between two werewolves who'd been arguing for the past ten minutes, their discussion about werewolf population control growing so heated there'd been a flash of canines and claws. Cora figured it would be best she got out of there before one of them sprouted fur.

On the other side of the room, near the door, was Eva, sequestered into a tight spot by a cute, young vampire. Since revealing herself as a sorceress to her dear friend, Eva had pestered her to do magic on several occasions, her curiosity more meddlesome than Cora would've imagined. Eva having her attention on a handsome stranger for the night wouldn't hurt Cora's fingers.

Who would've thought snapping them to impress her best friend could lead to such fatigue?

Cora tried to get her attention, to let her know she was leaving, but Eva, cheeks flushed, didn't pay her any mind, giggling as the vampire flashed his sharp fangs. Though she'd been warned beforehand that Mariam's friends weren't all entirely human, there were somethings, even Eva in her newfound awareness of magic, couldn't quite believe yet.

Cora didn't doubt she thought his fangs were false.

Be careful, E.

She gave her friend her regards, maneuvering through the crowd of partygoers with her elbows the best she could, ignoring the number of complaints and eyerolls she received, none of which were from Beau or her family who she'd lost in the madness an hour ago. It took more effort than normal to get outside with so many bodies crammed in their home, but she managed, stumbling out into the chilly night air.

Eighteen minutes to midnight, Cora gazed up at the sky—wishing.

Maybe it's time to call it quits.

As much as she wanted Beau, it was possible he didn't want her. After all, he'd had ample time to make up his mind. The fact that he'd kept away so long only reiterated what she'd feared all along. Whatever she'd felt was one sided.

Behind her, through the open doorway, the partying winded down, the music lowered, as everyone prepared to watch the ball drop in Oleander Garden. The few people in the Emersons front yard hurried up the steps.

"Don't want to miss the countdown," one said.

"You better pucker up then," said another, as they abandoned the cold to slip into the warmth of the house.

Cora thought she should do the same, though she wouldn't be puckering up. Did she really want to witness almost everyone but her receiving a kiss from their beau at midnight? Even Eva might get lucky with her new vampire friend.

"For the love of crows." Cora shut her eyes as a tear slipped free. There was nothing quite like being hapless in love on New Year's Eve.

"Cora."

Her eyes fluttered open at the sound of her name. She glanced to her left, then her right but everyone had already gone in. She was alone. Thinking it'd been her imagination, she sighed.

He chuckled. "I'm right here." Beau stepped from behind the door out onto the porch.

She shook her head, dazzled. "I thought you hadn't come."

He squinted at her, tipping his head to one side. "Your hair's different."

Most of the pink had worn off, leaving it a subtle pastel shade. It did clash with the red dress she'd worn, mostly because she'd gotten it for Christmas, but she hadn't minded. Since breaking the curse, she figured change was good. Eva had fashioned Cora's hair into a stylish updo for the night.

She took in his appearance, too, not noting anything remarkably different about his looks. His knitted sweater, jeans, and boots looked well-worn and cozy. His hair cut the same. His face clean shaven. Not a new freckle in sight.

"We haven't' seen each other in a while," she said. "I thought about you." She dipped her chin, her face warm as she confessed. "A lot actually.".

"I thought about you too. I did. Everyday. You're kind of hard to forget, Cora Emerson."

"I am?" She laughed, her heart battering her chest.

He nodded. "I couldn't stop seeing the look on your face the day you told me the truth about everything, and how happy you sounded when I told you my grandmother was awake."

Thirteen minutes to midnight, Cora and Beau couldn't take their eyes off each other.

"How could I move on after all that happened?" Beau licked his lips, a gesture that wasn't lost on her. "I'm sorry I kept away for so long. I wasn't sure how I felt for a long time but now I know."

"What do you know?" she pressed.

"I know that whatever it is that makes you so special, I can't ignore it. And I'm not talking about your magic either." He gazed at her intently. "I mean, you're more than that. You're remarkable. You're kind. Wholesome and sweet. You're a godsend, Cora, and I don't want to miss out on you."

Ten minutes to midnight, the distance between them had closed. Inside the charming house on 4443 Hemlock Avenue, the countdown had begun.

"I've never been kissed before," she said. "Who knows what might happen."

"You don't scare me," Beau breathed. "Do you worse magic."

Cora tilted her head up as the clock struck midnight and kissed him until her mouth ached and the air around them grew heavy. She guessed he'd been drinking her grandmother's punch from the sweetness on his breath, which only made her kiss him deeper.

It was a wonderfully wicked kiss.

And when it was over, both of them giddy and breathless, all that was left was to watch the fireworks in the sky above, as if the show was meant just for them.

THE END