12 | The Not-quite Date Pt. 2

"Look at this

"Look at this. Five-star reviews." Noah brandished his cell phone. "All saying the same thing. "Legendary, visually stunning, complex, a thrilling adventure. Look."

"That's cool but I'm driving." Beau didn't glance at his brother.

"This is going to be the best movie." Noah stretched his arms, his fingertips nearly brushing the roof. They'd been in the car for fifteen minutes and he hadn't calmed down yet.

"What's the movie called?" Cora had been too busy listening to pay attention to the scenery. Buildings went by in an array of light, sound, and color, neither as interesting as Beau and Noah. She snapped a fairy knot off a strand of her hair, altogether entranced.

"The Dawn of the Fall," Noah said.

"Yeah, I forgot to tell you," said Beau, slowing down at a yellow light.

From what she'd heard of it, it was an apocalyptic sci-fi movie about a boy who finds out he's the prince of an alien race on the eve of their revolution and must choose between fighting for his species or for the humans who raised him.

"Which theater are we going to?" She searched The Dawn of the Fall on her phone. There were lots of rave reviews, but a few negatives calling it a trite, emotional rollercoaster.

"Rosen Street." Beau peeked at Cora in his rearview mirror. He kept his window down despite the chill and she huddled in her corner, not wanting to be rude.

Rosen Street was closer, the parking abysmal. Beau drove with one hand on the wheel, opting for back roads instead of the main—Lupin Avenue. Cora watched a woman push a stroller down the street, wishing for more than apartment complexes when she couldn't think of what to say. A convenience store's lights flashed sickening neon colors. She set her gaze on the homeless man sleeping opened mouthed against a wall.

We probably have the most convenience stores in the world.

"Why? You want to go somewhere else?" asked Beau, slowing again to let a group of teens cross the street.

"Downtown's fine," she said.

He hadn't put on the radio. Noah played a video game on his Nintendo, complaining or shouting his victory at every odd minute that passed.

Cora chose to take full opportunity of having Beau's attention. "I think I've seen the trailer for The Dawn of the Fall. You like sci-fi, huh?"

"Nah, not really. I'm not into that fantasy stuff. That's all Noah."

"Yup," said Noah.

"You don't believe?" she asked, amused.

"Believe what? That aliens exist?" He laughed. "I don't believe because they're not real."

They made a turn. Cora kicked a water bottle that rolled onto her feet. Someone who refused to believe the fantastical wouldn't think twice of her magic.