Chapter 5

Before I entered homeroom, I composed my face into an expressionless mask. I didn’t need them. Hell no. With my chin held up high, I entered the classroom, avoiding the twins. Unlike usually, I didn’t move the empty desk next to James, but I simply sat down, took out a notebook and started doodling food. I’d accidentally woken up late, and I had to rush to get to school on time, so no breakfast for me today.

            “Aw, did you get rejected?” James jeered.

            I rolled my eyes and refused to look at him. I already felt particularly bad today; no breakfast, I was fighting with the twins, and I had a huge pimple on my chin. Seriously, that thing was like a volcano, just telling me, begging me, to pop it. Being a teenager sucks.

            “I figured they’d get bored with you soon. Not this soon though.”

            “Can you shut up? I’m trying to pay attention. Nobody asked for your running commentary either!” I snapped.

            “You are a nobody.”

            “Haha, how mature. That one’s older than your fake Internet girlfriend.”

            “My fake internet girlfriend at least weighs less than you do.”

            My jaw fell. Excuse me?

            “Not to mention that she actually looks good. You think with all that extra poundage at least some would have gone towards your rack.” He viciously added.

            I bit my lower lip, and clenched my hands into fists.

            “You know Cassie? She and Thomas snogged during Christmas break. They were actually going to start dating. But no, then you came along and she was traded in. That’s why she hates you. Karma’s a bitch.”

            “You don’t even know me. And why do you care so much?” I angrily said.

            “I don’t need to tell you that.” He bitterly replied.

            “Fine. I don’t want to know your pathetic story.”

            With a huff, I crossed my arms and paid attention to the teacher. Soon, the class was over, I’d actually learned something, and I rushed out of the door, accidentally bumping into a girl.

            “Sorry.” I muttered, not even bothering to look at her face. Nearly jogging my way into a bathroom, I went into a stall and I broke into tears. You are a nobody. My fake internet girlfriend at least weighs less than you do. She actually looks good. I knew that I wasn’t the prettiest, but I thought I’d left my fat days behind me. I remembered my old nickname I’d lovingly been given by my classmates just after my sister’s death. I’d gained fifty pounds, and I was nothing less than colossal.

            “Allie the allosaur! Allie the allosaur! She weighs as much, if not even more!”

            Not only had it made me despise any and all dinosaurs, and my nickname. Just hearing it made me furious. My chest shook with my sobs, and I felt the creases in my stomach as I bended. I flung my head back and dug my fingernails into my skin. Worthless. How could I have even thought I was anywhere near being finished?

            Slowly I calmed down, and I blew my nose and dried up my face. My nose was red, just like my pimple. In the mirror, I tried to make myself look decent, but it was to no avail. Would I show my face in Chemistry? I’d already missed half the class, what would the other half matter? I didn’t want to give James the satisfaction of seeing me crying.