Hard truths and hard moves

My father use to tell me stories as a child. Stories of how the world used to be magicless. How everyone was normal and would never have dreamed of living in a life of exceptional abilities.

It only took one mistake for this new world to happen.

Back in those days, there were scientists who had been working on a cure for a disease called Cancer. Which used to be a malignant growth or tumor resulting from the division of abnormal cells. It used to destroy bodies and kill thousands of people yearly.

But one day, those scientists had a huge breakthrough through in their work. So when the President found out, he forced military people to go over and stop it.
The president was so worried about keeping control and money. Apparently, money used to be power in those days. He didn't want Cancer to be cured. He was making a lot of money from the people who were cursed to have caught the illness.

Between the treatment costs, hospitalization and death costs, the cancer donations, and insurances, he was making too much money to have it just stop.

To him, if there was a cure, there would be less money he would make. He was greedy, even in the face of so many peoples deaths.

But his greed is how we came to be how we are today.

The military he had sent in that day, to destroy all the research and data that the scientist had gathered, they had accidentally mixed potentially dangerous and toxic chemicals together. This caused a huge explosion that took thousands of life's away from their friends and family.

But somehow, those chemicals went airborne.

Within the first two weeks after that, there were millions of reports coming in from pregnant women. They all claimed that something was wrong with their babies. That they were growing too fast.

A woman would be three weeks pregnant one day, and only three days later would be three months pregnant instead.

Everyone went into a nationwide panic. They had thought the aliens had gotten out of some place called Area 51. The aliens took their babies and replaced them with their own alien one. That they were eating their babies with barbecue sauce on their tittes. (The ideas of the teenagers seemed the most logical at that time.)

It was all such a heartbreaking and terrifying experience for everyone back then.

But soon after that, the babies were being born, and the hype and confusion went away. The strangeness temporarily forgotten.

At least until those babies turned three.

That's when parents were calling authorities to take their 'demented children'.

These toddlers were gifted. In temper tantrums, they would throw couches. And when told they couldn't have spaghetti or something, they'd start cooking it on their own.

The parents could not understand or even comprehend what was happening. They didn't understand why their babies were flying through the house to get out of bath times or turning invisible to hide from daycare. They didn't know where these strange abilities even came from.

So, the government began collecting these kids to study on.

That's when they realized what had caused the mess.

The government was quick to open up special facilities for parents to send their Gifted children to. In these places, the kids would be forced to learn control or be killed in the process.

These places are now known as slaughter facilities. Thousands of kids were sent to their deaths. And those that survived became slaves to the government.