6. The Unexpected

It was summer evening in mid of April, when my Boss called me and asked me to go to Hyderabad for a week to attend a conference and to give some audit work of a very important client. As it was still Thursday and I had to leave that night only for Hyderabad I called home and informed them about it and would come home next week.

The client's people had booked a room for me in one of the best hotels. The two days conference went well and on Sunday I roamed in the streets of Hyderabad with my Cam. I went to Charminar and also to the Chudi Bazaar and bought different kinds of bangles to Amma, Rajkumari and for some of my Cousins. From Monday to Wednesday I was busy with the Audit. Thursday it was just paperwork and finalizing. In the afternoon I had my flight back to Bangalore. On the way I called home. Rajkumari had gone to college and others were fine at home.

Usually Rajkumari Comes Home by 4pm but that evening she was not home even after 4.30 and her phone was not reachable. Nobody knows what happened but at 5.30pm my Amma got a call from her number where a boy spoke to her and said that the owner of the phone had met with an accident and they have taken her to the hospital. Though Amma was worried, she called Sunith and Aneesh and told them what had happened and asked them to go to hospital. As Aneesh worked in the same hospital he went to her help. She was Unconscious and her face was fully covered with blood. Soon Amma Appa also came to hospital. Before calling my parents the boy had called uncle, so uncle on the other sent her cousin brother who stays in Mysore.

It was a place where there is less traffic. She never drives fast  and it was the regular route she used to travel. No one knows what had happened. Her helmet was broken into pieces. The boy was coming on the way when he saw her bleeding and asking for help. Few vehicles had passed her but made no attempt to stop. When the boy came she had very little conscious and had asked him to help. After which she had lost her consciousness.

She was bleeding heavily. Her right hand elbow was fractured; the upper jaw bone was broken as she had given her face while falling. As the helmet glass broke some of the glass went into her cheeks and her nose got cut. The collar bone had a hair line fracture. Her legs had many minor injuries in them. Soon her friends also got to know about the accident and came to hospital. Even though so much had happened I knew nothing about it as I was in the plane.

It was already 8 pm, from Airport I directly went to office for submitting those documents. It was nearing 10 when I left the office. On the way back home I opened my phone which was in silent mode and was shocked to see 15 missed calls by Amma, Sunith, Aneesh, Reyaansh. I got a bad feeling that something might have happened to Grandma. I called Amma she picked but she was not audible. As soon as I reached home I called her back when Aneesh took the call. I asked him what happened. He asked me to calm down and told me the whole story. He warned me not to come at this night and asked me to come by early morning bus.

I couldn't sleep. Aneesh had second shift so he slept in the hospital along with Amma. Srivalli aunty and uncle had also left for Mysore by a night bus from Bellary. Morning I got fresh and prayed God for her wellness. It was still 4am and the first bus was to leave by 5.30 Am. I called Aneesh to ask about her. She had got her consciousness and was out of danger. She would be operated later in the morning. Reyaansh came and picked me up from the bus stop by 9. Amma had gone home and came back with Appa to hospital. Even Aunty Uncle had reached in the morning. By the time we reached the hospital she was taken to the operating theatre for fixing her jaw bone and minor surgery of her nose bone. Aneesh had gone to OT even though his shift was not there. He was sad than any other friend of mine. He always felt she was like his sister. Aunty was crying and Amma was trying to console her. Uncle on the other hand was sitting silently next to Appa. She is his pampered daughter. Though he was silent and trying to be strong his face was not supporting him. I sat next him holding his hand and telling him she will be alright.

After an hour or more the operation was over and the nurse came and said that the doctor would like to meet the patient's family. I, Uncle and Appa followed the nurse towards the cabin. Rajkumari was not in conscious due to anesthesia given to her. Doctor told that they have fixed her nose and jaw. But for few weeks she cannot eat and should be in liquids. The scars on her face will get cured by applying the medicines prescribed. Though some of the deep wound may leave the scar and would take some time to go. Doctor faced me and said, "It's your duty to make her feel confident again. Those scars should never become a barrier in her life. It will take her some time to come out of the trauma. You have to be strong and make sure you make her feel good and safe."

She was shifted to the ward after she got consciousness. Everyone went in and checked her and came out. I asked Amma Appa to take aunty and uncle home. Lastly I went inside the ward; there she was lying on bed with her face fully bandaged except her eyes, nostrils and her mouth. I felt like hugging her and crying. But I controlled myself and remembered what doctor had told me and I sat next to her. To make her feel light I told her that she was looking like a 'mummy' and can go for the next audition. She tried to laugh but couldn't due to bandages. I asked her to rest and came out. I couldn't control anymore and I broke down. Reyaansh consoled me and told me she is strong and she will become normal soon. I thanked all three of them for taking care of her, especially Aneesh. Aneesh left after sometime, as he had to come back  and report for his duty.

I Reyaansh, and Sunith, We three Sat there and tried to figure out what might have happened. We tried asking Rajkumari but she doesn't remember anything. She doesn't even remember asking for help or coming to hospital. By evening we met the guy who had bought her to the hospital. I had no words to thank him. He had come like a God and saved her life. Reyaansh had called him as a part of investigation. Yes he had started the investigation on Appa's complaint basis. Amma and others were in hospital. So I and Reyaansh along with the guy went to the accident spot. The glass pieces and some blood stains were there on the ground. That guy explained what all he had seen. Her vehicle was fallen in nearby bushes and was beyond recognition. It was later taken to police station.

A week later she was discharged from hospital. She started saying she will write the semester exam as she is feeling better. Uncle and aunty went back after her discharge. I took permission from office and started working from home and on the other hand started teaching her for exams. As she is left hander writing was not a problem. Most of all it was her will power due to which she is getting recovered faster. Amma Appa is taking care of her like a small kid. Three days once we go to hospital for dressing. As she was only on liquids she was getting tired very soon but she was still trying to be strong.

I always feel that this accident was a boon in our life. It made us understand each other more. I got more time to spend with her. Even in those scars she looked gorgeous. Though so much had happened she used to say that this was nothing when compared to others. This was her way of motivating herself. Every night watching her sleep was a joy. Every now and then I used to go to Bangalore for office to attend some important meetings.

Everyday her friends used to come home, to study together with her. Whenever I was not in home all three of them used to talk for hours like anything. I don't understand what do girls have so much to talk, that too every day? In front of me they are like studious girls. Sometimes apart from teaching Rajkumari I would be teaching all of them like a lecturer clarifying doubts of his students.

On the other hand the case was dropped nearly after a month due to non availability of evidence. And even I had to leave, as I had already postponed many meetings and couldn't do so anymore. After being with everyone for a month it was hard to go back, but I had no option. It was just a matter of 15 days and I would be back in weekend. I still remember when I was about to leave her eyes were full, though she was trying to give that big smile and send me.