Chapter 2

It was a gorgeous summer day and Jim had set up a picnic in a wooded area near the Inn. We were sitting in a clearing and the sun shone down, warming our faces as we sat on a blanket eating fresh fruits. I loved Montressor in the summer; it wasn't too hot or humid, and there always seemed to be a cool breeze blowing through the trees. Jim and I were talking, just enjoying each other's company. We were always getting to know more about each other, though we had been a couple for quite some time now and knew each other better than anybody.

"So when are you gonna try out that new solar sail I got you for your birthday?" I asked casually

Last week had been Jim's 18th birthday, and I had gotten him a new solar sail for his surfer. The old one was pretty worn out and didn't collect much sunlight anymore. So I had bought him a brand new one that collected even more light than the old one ever had, allowing the surfer to go faster.

"How about tomorrow? We can test it out together," he answered.

"Alright, it's a date," I giggled.

"So what are you planning on singing tonight?" Jim asked as he played with my long hair, running his fingers through it occasionally.

"It's a surprise," I said, my smile wide.

"It always is," he replied, smiling back at me.

"When are you going to come and sing with me?" I asked, looking up at him expectantly.

"Eventually," he replied, giving me a mischievous smile.

"That's what you always say," I said, giving him a pouting face.

He just laughed, seeing through my fake emotion. His laugh slowly broke me down until my pout became a smile. I dropped my act completely and started laughing along with him.

He leaned over and kissed me.

He kissed me gently, as if I might break, but it was still full of love and passion. That's what I loved about Jim. He never pushed me. He never moved forward unless I asked him to. He would never pressure me to do something I didn't want. Though I had never had a boyfriend before him, I knew that most boys were not like this. I often felt like I didn't deserve him, but I knew he felt the same way, since he had expressed as much to me countless times before.

I returned his kiss as he gently cupped my face with his hand. After pulling away, he smiled at me, looking over my face as if something may have changed in the last second when he wasn't looking. I smiled at him lovingly as I stared into his beautiful blue eyes. They never ceased to captivate me. After his eyes finally looked back into mine, I found myself lost in another one of his kisses.

We sat there talking and kissing for the next couple of hours. But as the sun started to fall in the sky, I knew I had to go get ready for the show that night. We packed up our picnic and headed back towards the Inn, walking hand in hand. We were greeted at the door by a buzzing pink little blob.

"Hi Morph," I said as the little shape shifter licked my face.

"Hey mom," Jim said as we walked into the kitchen.

"Hello Jim, Raphaelle," she replied, taking a break from working to greet us.

"Hello Mrs. Hawkins," I said.

"Raphaelle, how many times do I have to say it? You can call me Sarah," she reminded, sending me a caring smile.

"Sorry, force of habit," I smiled sheepishly.

"Hey Jimmy! Hey Ralphie!" B.E.N. said as he entered the room carrying empty plates from the dining room.

"Hi B.E.N.," I replied.

"Ready for tonight?" he asked.

"Yes, and there are gonna be some great songs," I said as I dashed upstairs to get dressed.

A few hours later, I was wearing the dark blue sparkly dress I had worn the night the BenBow Inn reopened. I decided to keep my hair down and loose with only a simple rhinestone clip pulling some of it to the side. Around my neck was the silver locket Jim had given me. I never took it off. I walked downstairs to make sure the stage was ready for the night's performance. Since the songs I picked didn't exist here, I would write the music and help teach it to the musicians; that night was no different.

Sarah introduced me before I walked onto the stage.

"Good evening everyone! Tonight I will be singing about a story of love and loss," I said into the microphone. I nodded at the musicians and they started to play. At first, all you could hear was the penny whistle, then the other musicians slowly started to join in. In no time at all, it was my turn to sing.

Every night in my dreams

I see you, I feel you

That is how I know you go on

Far across the distance

And spaces between us

You have come to show you go on

Near, far, wherever you are

I believe that the heart does go on

Once more you open the door

And you're here in my heart

And my heart will go on and on

Love can touch us one time

And last for a lifetime

And never let go till we're gone

Love was when I loved you

One true time I hold to

In my life we'll always go on

Near, far, wherever you are

I believe that the heart does go on

Once more you open the door

And you're here in my heart

And my heart will go on and on

There was a musical interlude, and it sounded like the song might be ending. But then the music picked back up with more fervor and I started singing again, pouring more soul and emotion into my voice.

You're here, there's nothing I fear

And I know that my heart will go on

We'll stay forever this way

You are safe in my heart

And my heart will go on and on

I hummed a few notes as the song came to its end.

When the last note finished ringing, everyone broke out cheering and clapping. B.E.N. let out a loud whistle, and next to him Morph had transformed into a pair of clapping hands. I saw Jim standing at the back of the room, smiling at me lovingly and clapping. He always tried to look nice for my performances, so he was wearing nice pants and a dress shirt. I smiled at him as I waited for the applause to die down.

"Thank you! That song was called My Heart Will Go On. Next I'll be singing-" I started, but was interrupted when the door to the Inn flew open and banged against the wall.