PART ONE - The Silent One

The words in the book did not make it through Donna's thoughts as she reads them; she was out of focus today, which is rare for her; something is upsetting her and she has no idea what it is. She slammed the book shut as she heard footsteps approaching her location; it was none other than Nina, her long-serving maid and the eldest of her three servants. Nina arranged a tray containing a dish of cookies, a porcelain teacup, and a saucepan. The elderly lady smiled, revealing her facial wrinkles.

"Your tea, Lady Donna," she said as she placed the tray's contents on the wood table beside her.

She acknowledged her with a tiny nod. She never spoke to any of them, except when it was absolutely essential, and Angie does the majority of the talking for her. She would prefer to be alone, to have some quiet time to herself, but - she must admit - even with Angie by her side all the time, it's lonely. She is in desperate need of something, or even someone.

"Lady Donna?"

She regained her composure, turning her shrouded head to face Nina, who remained standing near her recliner.

"Mother Miranda will arrive today to discuss the new maiden, who will take the place of Dina. Do you recall?"

Her lips were pulled together, forming a thin line. Yes, she had forgotten Miranda would be arriving today, bringing with her a new maiden. She shook her head in response to Nina's inquiry.

Nina only smiled at her and nodded. "It's fine; after all, that is why I am here to remind you, isn't it?"

She nodded, tapping her fingers against the inside of her knee. She then grabs the fabric of her dress, nervously wondering if the new maiden will enjoy working here or if she, like Dina, will be hauled into the doll room and made into a doll as punishment for being a traitor.

She shook her head, allowing thoughts to fade from her consciousness. She took a sip of the tea, appreciating the chamomile flavor. "Call me when they arrive," she urged, eliciting a smile from Nina.

Nina bent her head and nodded. "Will do, my lady," she said as she walked out of the room.

Donna locked her gaze on the vista from the window in front of her; this was her favorite area in the manor, where she would spend hours gazing out the window or reading her favorite novels. She ate a cookie from the platter, little perplexed as to where Angie might be munch the moment. Perhaps she was preoccupied with Kate - her blue-haired gardener; Angie is notorious for always pestering Kate at all times.

She reopened her book and began reading the phrases that had previously escaped her memory, hoping that they would finally make sense. She raised her attention for a brief moment, her gaze drawn to the view outside the window, which caused her to raise an eyebrow. A figure dressed in a black leather cloak with a hood covering their head, knee-length black leather boots, and carrying a gun behind that figure's back rushed across the field. Donna rose from her seat, stunned by what she was witnessing - what was that?

"Lady Donna?"

She leaped into her seat at hearing Nina's voice. She shifted her covered gaze to the door where she saw Nina standing.

"Mother Miranda has arrived."

Donna nodded her head in response and then closed her book - marking it before she does. She rose from her chair and walked over to the doorway where Nina is standing.

"Please tidy up the cookies; I intend to eat them again later. Thank you," she stated as she ran out from the door, before Nina had a chance to answer.

She walked out of the room and heard high-pitched voice - the doll that she was looking for all day have already found her mother. Angie's voice can be heard from upstairs, where she is telling Miranda a narrative about her day's activities. Donna chuckled to herself; imaging Miranda's reaction while Angie talks stories is amusing, given that her doll can never keep her mouth shut and Miranda can never say no to her. She gripped the skirt of her dress as she walked down the stairs, a little frightened to see the new maid Miranda had hired for her. Her shoes made light sounds on the hard wooden steps as she took cautious steps down - making sure that she won't even trip or fall.