three

Donna moves frantically while her heavy, audibly loud breathing may be heard. As the scene constantly replayed in her head, her hands were trembling and her entire body felt very cold. A figure wearing a black cloak and black leather boots was observed sprinting on her land, but she did not sense an intruder. Was she beginning to lose her abilities? This may be it. In the end, she was a weakling, just as her biological mother had been telling her for years. She was nothing compared to Claudia; she is a weakling with heightened sensitivity.

Without more thought, she impulsively began to strike the vase that was placed on the little end table as her rage began to consume her. The vase fell to the ground and shattered into hundreds or thousands of fragments. Then, Donna glanced at her hand, which resembled a waterfall, as thick, crimson blood began to drop from it and stain the light wooden floor. She had acquired a new scar.

"Donna?" She slowly turned her head in response to Miranda's anxious voice. The priestess's eyes immediately shifted to her hand, which was now covered in deep red. "What happened, sweetheart? How are you feeling? Are you okay?" Miranda hurried towards her and examined her hand thoroughly.

"I..." Donna attempted to speak, but her voice merely shook, and the next thing she knew, she was already crying and Miranda had embraced her.

"It's okay." Miranda whispered softly while stroking her head and back. "Let's discuss this when you are ready."

She whimpered more due to her current predicament. How much she detested crying, yet she never allows herself to stop. She used to be emotionless since her mother told her that crying was a sign of weakness; she remembered this as the reason why she did not want to express her genuine emotions. Since being adopted by Miranda, though, her circumstances have changed. Her new mother was eager to know how she feels, and she is quite patient. She does not question her desires and supports her as long as her actions are moral. But despite the passage of so many years, she cannot forget the nightmare she endured.

"Sorry." Donna instantly felt humiliated. Such a drama queen she was.

"There is no reason for regret." Miranda laughed softly and reached under Donna's veil to wipe away her tears with her thumb. "I have repeatedly informed you that it is acceptable to express your emotions. Never apologize, okay?"

She gently nodded her head and then exhaled. "Again, I apologize for disturbing you."

"You did not bother me sweetheart. I am aware that you called me in an emergency. What occurred?"

"A person wearing a black cloak and black leather boots was seen trespassing on my land. It was strange that I didn't feel that person pass by here! I neither felt anything nor had any indication!" Donna's voice quivered. "I have no idea why, but I believe I am losing my abilities, mothet. I'm becoming a useless–"

"Donna!" Miranda barked that caused her to recoil. "I have repeatedly informed you that you are not useless. Barbara may assert that you are, but this is untrue. I don't believe in her words and I never will. You should already be aware that you are not useless."

"I'm sorry, mother." A trembling sigh escaped her lips. "My mind instantly began to recall those details. I was in the midst of terror on the earlier sighting of the figure."

Miranda smiled and pulled her daughter closer to give her a kiss on the forehead. "It's alright, honey, I'm glad you told me. And for your abilities, neither you nor they are deteriorating. Whoever that person is must be familiar with the local customs, which explains why you didn't get a sense of them. I was informed that there is an invader in the vicinity of the village. However, I have already taken care of it."

"What ever do you mean by that mother?"

"Let's assume I had someone working with me to eradicate the intruders around here." Miranda smiles darkly.