𝐒𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧: 𝐈𝐗

Joseph

Joseph

Thursday, December 10, 2002

Morning

My eyes were burning, and the sun was casting a massive shadow across the mansion's front. I stopped at the gate, rolling down my window. There was a moment of just listening to the leaves and the browning bushes sway before a very robotic voice startled me. "Identification."

"Joseph Ramirez."

The gate opened with grace, and the mansion looked even bigger as I rolled up to the front. All the trees and hedges were brown, and the fountain looked even better than before. Stopping my car caused an overwhelming sense of fear inside me. It had been such a long time since I'd visited, and for good reason. They were controlling, but I just wanted family at the moment. Something I knew would always be there...

Stepping out of the car, the air was chilly and crisp. Taking a deep breath, I walked up to the front door. It was the same as when I left, impeccably sculpted and intimidating. I raised my hand to knock before the door opened and, of course, it was our maid, Lisa.

"Joseph! You're so grown up!" She squealed, hugging me. I always thought of her as a second mother to me while I grew up. If I was upset, I went to her, and she'd bake me some cookies or give me some odd but good advice. That was before I left for college... "Come in! Come in! We've all missed you!"

She guided me into the house. It looked bigger from the last time I visited, and everything was cleaned and polished. The deep crimson walls and checkerboard floors were brand new, it made the house resemble the palace of the Red Queen. Kind of felt like Alice, spiraling down that hole in the ground that seemed to be my life.

"Son! You've come back to us!" My father yelled with his arms out. Hugging him felt so reassuring. I'd forgotten how comforting his hugs were, but that's only because he was never there when I was younger. Constantly working or on my back about some useless skill I didn't need...

"Hey Dad, where's mom?"

"She's upstairs lecturing your lazy brother." He looked me up and down. "You look like me back in my prime, Bet the lads can't stay off you," he joked, nudging my arm. "Speaking of where's that boyfriend of yours.... what's his name..."

"Sebastian?"

"Yeah, that one!"

"JOSEPH!" my mother interrupted, yelling my name from the top of the stairs, running as fast as she could in her heels. "My baby is home!" she screamed, hugging me. She smelled of rosewater and she still looked young as ever.

"Hey, mom... You look good."

She kissed my cheek before going to my dad's side. "I know honey... now what brings you back?" My eyes went to my brother just sitting at the top of the stairs, looking down in disgust. He looked different, better actually...