I Met a Guy.

Adriana

I wake up and check my phone like there would actually be a "Good Morning" text. As if I had a man who'd do that. Speaking of having a man, I haven't stopped thinking of the guy I met yesterday. He was so damn gorgeous that I forgot to ask his name. All that talking and I couldn't even remember to ask for his name. It's probably because I was so "dick-stracted" by his vibe and appearance. He had to be at least 6'5 and his light caramel skin made him look very edible. He was a skinny guy though, but there's a saying about skinny niggas. Just when my mind was going some place that it shouldn't, a reminder popped up on my phone. "Open Mic @ 8" I heard about this poetry bar downtown that all black artists and poets love going to. I can't wait. Immediately, I begin to write a poem for tonight.

Lexi

I met this "fione" guy last night. He plays football for Vanderbilt and he's a NFL prospect. I'd be the sexiest NFL wife. Draya Michele would have nothing on me. Is she even married to the guy? Whatever. We talked and danced all night. He even said he wanted me to be his girl one day. His friend was looking at my girl, Adriana. He shouldn't even waste her time. She thinks every athlete or person in the military is a hoe. If I had been constantly heartbroken by one of the two, I'd be the same way. "Good morning beautiful," an unsaved number texted me. I know exactly who it is. My future boo. I replied "Good morning handsome" with the red heart emoji. He called me and hearing his voice brought butterflies to my stomach. He has the most "panty dropping" morning voice. I laid back on my bed and just smiled and talked to him.

Candice

So there's this guy. I don't like him at all. I'm not attracted to men at all. My friends don't know I'm gay though. I know Adriana wouldn't mind because she's bisexual or she was. I can't tell with her. Lexi is a preacher kid and I don't feel like hearing that shit. Anyway, I met him yesterday at the party and somehow we got on the subject of me not being able to afford tution for all four years. He said he knows a guy who can give me a job and help me pay. I'm desperate right now. I can barely pay for the first damn semester. I hope it's nothing crazy.

Adriana

I like partying with my girls, but it's not what I enjoy the most. I'd take poetry and an artistic atmosphere over the club anyday. As I step through the door, I see many beautiful black people with a vibe that I can really get used to. Open Mic started at 8, but I want to go last. The first and last people are usually the most memorable. I write my name down then I sit down and wait for the woman who resembles Ledisi to call me up. These poets and their stories within their poems make me feel connected to them. One girl spoke of being raped by her uncle while another spoke of the white supremacy in America. There were some happy poems and it did lift the mood, but tonight, I wasn't about to be one of the happy poets. "Adriana Lawson," the gentle voice emerging from the woman announces. I step up on the stage and lower the microphone. I just had to go right after a guy who was somewhere around 6 feet. I feel no need to introduce myself so I jump right into my poem.

"She watched as the tears flowed down my face
But I turned away to hide her disgrace
I took my heart and held it tight
held in the pain with all of my might
I took a breath
Sharp in
Cut out
As I felt her hand on my shoulder
I was already filled with doubt
when I turned around to meet her gaze
Mine was hard, and soon hers was hazed
I yanked away from her desperate grasp
But I think I already knew we were done and past
I heard her voice crack with sadness
"Please stay, I love you, I'll miss you, I need you"
Choking on sadness, but holding the rest down
I whispered back, with an emotionless sound
"You may have forgotten what love meant, But my love is something where rules cannot be bent"

I deliver the words from my mouth with great emotion. As I say them, my eyes begin to fill. When I'm done, I hear snaps and claps and I smile just enough to let them know I appreciate the applause. I had planned to say more of the poem, but I just couldn't bring myself to speak of the pain anymore. I sit back down at my table and order a drink and just got lost in my thoughts. "So we meet again, beautiful," interrupts a familiar voice. I turn my head and see the gorgeous guy from the previous night. "I guess so," I respond with a flirty tone. He smiles and sits in the chair beside me. His cologne fills my nose and the smell of his masculinity automatically turns me on. He's talking about something, but my focus is on his lips. I'm focused on the curves and dips of the lips that I wish would connect with mine. The soft pinkness of them resemble the pinkness of my vagina. His neatly messy afro and slightly unshaven beard gives him a sexy caveman look. "And I just decided to open this place and share my love of art with other artistic black people." "You own this place?" I couldn't remember what the hell he was talking about. "That's what I've been saying for the last ten minutes," he said with a slight attitude. "I was distracted, but how does a college student own a bar?" I'm sitting next to the owner of the most famous poetry place in Nashville. He's perfect. " I graduated already. Went to the University of Memphis. I'm 26. My boy just invited me out to the party last night. I'm glad he did." He looked me up and down like I was a piece of fresh steak. I saw his eyes stop at my breast. He ain't slick. I sit up straight so he can get a better view. I'm such a tease. "Why's that?" I know exactly why he's glad he went. I'd be glad if I met me too. I'm the shit. "You, baby girl," he replied. Then he bit his lips. This boy called me baby girl and bit his lips. Who gave him a list of my weaknesses? Before I could respond, my mother called. Decline. She must know I'm about to get into something...or someone is about to get into me. "Is that your boyfriend?" When he said that, I decided to play along. "One of them." I couldn't help, but laugh at his expression. He grabbed my phone and told me to open it. Something about the way he demanded it made me do exactly what he asked without any questions asked. I couldn't tell what he was doing. He gave it back and said "Use it". He kissed my cheek and got up and walked away. I blushed and watched him walk away. Then I looked down at my phone and saw "Ryan" and his number. Hell yes! Ryan. The sexy guy's name is Ryan. I get up and walk out. Before I get into my car, I do a twirl. The hell has he done to me?