Chapter 7

River's pov:

The first day of school

"River wake up sleepy." Emma says annoyed. I sit up rubbing my eyes: "what's wrong?" she sits down on the bed. "We have to be at school in like fifteen minutes." she tells me. I stand up from the bed putting on a pair of jeans and brush my hair. "ready" I say still half asleep. She stands up, grabs my hand and drags me down the stairs into the kitchen. I greet her oarents and sit down to eat. Emma is making me eat like I only have a few minutes left to live. "Ems calm down it's only the first day." I say to her. She sighs and sits down annoyed. I finish eating 5 minutes later and drink the rest of the water that is left in my glass. "Thank god, now we really gotta leave." she says. She pulls me up from the shair and drags me with her. I put on my shoes and wait for her. We walk out the door both in a bad mood. We ignore eachother the first few minutes but I give in and wrap my arm around hers. "Sorry that I made us late." I say looking at her with puppy eyes. "It's fine." she says giving me a genuine smile.

We enter the school a few minutes late. Everyone is still walking around the halls. "I did not miss this." I tell Emma. "same" she answers. I let go of her arm not wanting to start any rumors. I tell her I'm going to the toilet and will be right back. I walk to the bathroom avoiding everyone. I get in a stall and pull out my notebook.

It hurts a little sometimes a lot
Having to let go of your body
Just to keep you safe
I'll let you go if needed
Just know I'll never forget you

I read these words over and over again after weiting them down. I put my notebook back in my bag and walk out of the stall checking how I look in the mirror. I walk back into the halls searching for Emma. I see her in the distance... She is with someone but I can't see who. When I get closer I see her with a boy. It's her boyfriend I forgot about him. He doesn't care for her. I walk backwards back into the bathrooms and lock myself in a stall. trying to keep it together. I take out my notebook again and start writing.

We don't speak with words.
We speak with gentle touches, a smile only meant for eachother.
Then I see you with that boy.
And get sucked back into reality
I could never have you
Even when we don't say a word,
I still want you.

I walk back out when I hear the bell ring. The whole day I avoid Emma not wanting to breakdown on the first day of school. I walk straight to my gym class. Changing into my gym outfit and walking out of the locker room. The day comes to an end, I see Emma waiting for me by my locker. "Hey I haven't seen you the whole day." she says when I reach her. I don't answer and open my locker putting the books I got in there. "Riv what's wrong?" she asks me. "Nothing" I answer her with no emotion. She drops it and waits for me to be done. I close my locker and walk out the school right beside Emma. She starts talking about her boyfriend. I just can't listen to her talk about him without shedding a tear.