Ch 1- How It All Began

A red-bearded man appeared at the front door. He told me that my granddaughter need not become a picture in the Hall of Portraits. There was another way. There is always another way. Everyone thinks I am very conventional. When I was young, I broke all the rules. They told me not to read. I didn't listen. They told me not to write. I didn't listen. I went to school. I wore clothes that were considered men's clothing. I made a difference. But no one knows my name. If only my family knew what I had done, if Morrigan knew what I had done, maybe she would like me better. Maybe she would know me better. That's why I signed the form Jupiter North gave me. I want my granddaughter to live. I want her to be free. Now, she is a member of the Free State.

When they said Eventide was beginning soon, I didn't believe them. I couldn't. Losing my granddaughter at twelve was early enough. She couldn't die at eleven.  I didn't want her to go to the town hall on Bid Day and see what she was missing out on. Nobody would offer her a bid anyway. I didn't want her to feel upset.  But Captain North told me that he would. Morrigan looked so miserable when she came back, I didn't believe him. She turned the radio on. It was happening: tomorrow was Eventide. The last day of the Age. The Eighth Age took from me, my daughter and now Morrigan.

She would never come back. I had lost all hope. That night though, Captain Jupiter North turned up. He told me Morrigan would live. There would be no midnight on Eventide for her. Her talent had saved her. I signed. I am still a legal guardian, even if I'm not a parent.

For dinner that night we had lamb chops, roast parsnips and minted peas. I dressed formally, as usual. This was not because of tradition, but because I was in mourning. I had mourned everyday, thinking of Morrigan's death. And I couldn't blow my cover now.

Everyone ate in silence. What was it, a funeral? Who wants their last day to be like this? (Well, I knew this wasn't her last day, but Morrigan thought it was)

Corvus cleared his throat. 'I just wanted to say...", he said, stumbling. 'I just, erm, wanted to say that, um, the lamb is very good. Cooked to perfection. Nice and pink.'

'Yes, it's just wonderful.' I said, glaring at him. I saw Morrigan smiling out of the corner of my eye. 

'Well, if nobody minds. I have an announcement to make. I thought it would be appropriate to say something tonight', Ivy interrupted.

Too late to apologise, Ivy! That though, was not what she said at all. 

'I am with child.' 

'Ivy, dear. Couldn't you have announced this at a less sensitive time? Perhaps after Morrigan, my only grandchild, is due to leave us tragically?' I asked.

'But don't you see?' Ivy said, looking to her husband for support. 'It's like... the circle of life. One may be snuffed out, but another is being brought into the world. It's a miracle.' 

I was choking on my anger, trying to remember temper control techniques I had learnt forty years ago.

'But Morrigan doesn't mind. Do you, Morrigan? Ooh, maybe we could dress the baby up in a periwinkle frock. Just like her mommy' she continued irritatingly, even looking to Corvus for support! The audacity of this woman! 

'No, of course I don't. Not in the slightest. That I'm going to be blotted out of existence in a few hours and you're planning a wardrobe for my replacement!', Morrigan replied.

 There was a lot of tension at the table.

Jupiter North chose the right time to appear.