Ch 4- Graysmark School for White Young Men

Have you ever had one of those dreams? Where you fall down, down, down into a void of darkness, and you suddenly wake up? These dreams are especially bad for me. You'll know why... soon. I woke with a jolt. The moment I woke up, images and words started swirling by my bedside. I sat up and started scourging for my eyepatch. My hands touched a piece of soft cloth. I grabbed at it and wrapped it around one eye. They faded away. I only saw now what anybody would. I lay in bed, unable to sleep. I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to wake the others.

If I got up, I would definitely wake the others. The bed creaked. The floor was hollow. The lights... the lesser said, the better. Our dorm rooms are arranged by how we study. The better we study, the better our homeroom. But the teachers never grade us fairly. I always fail. How many ever answers I get right. This is because of sheer racism. Just because of the colour of my skin. Uncle Jove asks me why I stay back at school during the holidays. You know why.

I study. I study hard. I study well. They never grade me well. Yet I keep on working. I don't know, I have just always felt an obligation to. Not just this, do you really think that it's right to put students who study well in better dorm rooms? Not everybody is good at Math. Some love Wunimal history. Some enjoy the study of animals. Some like making things up-  making art. And there's nothing wrong with that. How could there be? I wish I had the courage to put myself out there again and again, sending out a hundred for one that succeeds.

Dawn was breaking. And I was awake enough to remember the day. A Saturday. My day to do the chores. Clean off the fungus. Buy candles in case the light goes out. Bring water from miles away and heat it. Over fire.I hate Saturdays. With every Saturday, I have to remind myself- I'm luckier than my mum was. Than many people. And I needed an education. A job. Money. There was no other way to do it. Was there?

I'm not going to talk about the chores. All I will say is that I finished, soaking wet, by 9 am. I had missed breakfast. Blow. Nothing until lunch, then.