Ch 3- A Party that Lasted till Morning(tide)

'Step boldly', cried the woman in the silk gown, clutching her umbrella, and leaped off the rooftop and floated down, all thirteen floors. I heard no cry of pain, but a shout of triumph. I knew by now that the Free State didn't follow the laws, but not even the laws of gravity?

'Step boldly', shouted Martha, then Kedgeree, then Jupiter himself along with another boy, all happily jumping off of the building! Impossible. They all landed on their feet. Once Jupiter had landed, he looked up at me, as if expecting me to jump too. 

And I did. Closing my eyes, I left the balustrade. Would I leave the world too? Thankfully, that didn't happen. Wind rushed in, the air caught my umbrella, and I floated down. On impact, I almost fell over but somehow managed to stay upright. Guests all around were jumping into the fountain and drenching themselves, in their party clothes. Jupiter was the only one who stood back, looking at me with pride, relief and admiration. No one had ever looked at me like that before. I stared at him, wondering whether to throw my arms around him, or possibly push him into the fountain. I did neither.

I said out loud, 'Happy New Age'. However, my heart was beating to a different rhythm, my ears ringing with the words- I'm alive. I was alive. I had jumped off the balustrade and I was alive. I had been chased by the Hunt of Smoke and Shadow and I was alive. It was Morningtide and I was alive. It was the New Age and I was alive.