His Best friend | Pt 2

"Good morninggggg." Rakshan's voice appeared cheerful but his eyes glittered with something along the lines of compassion, sympathy and concern towards a mentally dismantled Ashwin.

The look he was getting from his friend in fact reminded him of the time his pet dog of 9 years died. Or the time when he walked in on his ex-girlfriend cheating on him with her colleague. Rakshan was clearly aware that last night was abysmal enough to be categorized under the top 10 tragic moments in Ashwin's life.

For an amiable man like him who lived a simple and quiet life, being awarded with a slap by his best friend's ex girlfriend while his next door neighbours all watched, it was de trop to digest even for Rakshan who usually didn't mind a good drama.

Ashwin reluctantly sat up as a sharp pain acted up on his head. He hissed out loud, burying his head into his hands, wishing he was never awake. Because being awake meant being conscious, and being conscious meant remembering details from last night.

"How are you feeling?" Rakshan softly asked even though he knew the answer already.

"Like shit."

"Okay great, now drink the coffee." Rakshan handed him the hot beverage he had bought on the way to his house.

Ashwin grumbled out incoherent words and plain noises that couldn't be misunderstood for anything other than agony, shutting his eyes momentarily. But nothing, literally nothing could wipe off the image of a tearful, broken Sivaangi. The beautiful brown eyes that drove him crazy have only glowed  angelically until last night. She was crushed. So so crushed.

Because of me.

Ashwin mindlessly uttered. "Pavam da andha ponnu."

(I feel bad for her.)

"Pavam thaan." He sighed softly and added on with judgmental eyes. "Aana unna patha adha vida pavam ah iruku."

(Me too. But I feel even worse for you.)

Ashwin was indeed in a pitiful condition. Not because of the slap like how Rakshan joked but because of all the new knowledge he gained.

First of all, his best friend have been dating his hardcore crush all these days. Well not anymore technically but still, it doesn't change the fact that they were an item.

Then, the best friend that he had trusted the most in the entire world, kept away such a crucial information and made him partake in his misdeeds towards an innocent girl.

And above everything else, his heart still fluttered at the sight of her even after two months of lacuna in their elevator episodes. He knew it shouldn't, especially now that he's aware of the history between her and Dhruv. It's wrong on so many levels, and goes against the basic code of friendship that every civilized person will abide by.

Unfortunately his heart had nothing to do with what's logical or acceptable. It just wants love.

"Yenna adi! Ara adi size la irundhukutu, yevlo power! Chancey illa. Naa lam aranduten da." Rakshan tried hard to lighten up the mood but Ashwin only remained quiet, like he was mentally stuck at last night.

(What a slap! It was so damn powerful for her small size! I was just stupefied!)

He was still hearing the echoes of the slap, her cries, her accusations and her pain.

"What happened last night, it's not your fault Ashwin." Rakshan gently reminded his friend who often had a tendency to feel irrational guilt.

"Why does it feel like it is? Maybe not completely but partially?" Ashwin truthfully told him.