Chapter 9: Encounter in the Library

"I wonder what creatures think of us." Wright said while she stuffed her mouth with pieces of toast she'd tore off. Wright carried the controversial opinion that the more food you propped into your mouth at once, the better it tasted. I wasn't sure if I agreed with her.

"Witches have categorized, labelled and researched their behaviours. Even lived with them for long periods of time only to study them! But do you think the creatures care about us in the same way? Do you think they'd ever do the same for us? I don't think so."

I couldn't help but smile at her absurdness. "Maybe they do. Maybe that's why gnomes infest our gardens."

"That would explain a lot actually." She laughed, and I believed she understood that I was only making with the funny. But her expression turned into that of a thoughtful one and she looked down at her bowl of cereal in a way that could only be explained as absent for there was no way she could find cereal that interesting otherwise.

I scanned the Great Hall and I had to mentally slap myself because that was maybe the seventh time I'd done so since Wright and I had sat down. Apparently my subconscious wanted to see Oliver but I wanted to not care. Instead I caught sight of the rest of our friends coming to finally join us for breakfast.

"Finally, you guys are up!" I called and simultaneously woke Wright from her daydream in doing so. "Took you hours to get here, didn't it?"

"Honestly Will, we left like 30 minutes after you guys." Said PJ, a sleepy expression on her face. "Did Oliver get a hold of you yesterday? I thought referring him to the tower would be the safest bet, although I have been wrong about these things in the past."

I gave her an incredulous look. "He did find me, and about that — why couldn't you have just told him something instead of referring him to me?"

"Because, he was all upset with you about the fact that you had accidentally booked all week, he thought you'd tried to cheat or something." PJ explained.

"But you knew that I hadn't, you knew it was a mistake, so why didn't you simply tell him that and it would've been sorted!" I wasn't even sure why I was mad to her. Oliver and I had after all sorted the whole thing out and were now on what I believed to be pretty good terms. But how could anyone have known that yesterday when all I wanted to do with Oliver was avoid him at all costs. Why couldn't she have respected that?

PJ looked around the table where we sat to make sure no one had noticed out argument, and proceeded to whisper frantically at me, "Because! I don't want to have to act like an owl between you two. Besides, I can't be bothered with this little feud of yours anyway, I want you guys to talk, so that you guys can sort it out!"

I sat back in disbelief. I couldn't believe PJ was actually upset with me. I didn't think that had ever happened before. It got me thinking that maybe I should tone down my complaining about Oliver. Maybe that was what annoyed her. Hopefully, following yesterday night it would naturally set into motion down a spiral.

"When are you going to stop being this irate with everyone?" PJ asked. "It's Flint then Oliver and now it's even me you're angry with." She buttered a piece of bread firmly. "You're going to have to stop somewhere, it won't be good for you otherwise. Maybe try imagining others complexly for once." Disregarding the sandwich she turned her attention fully toward me. "I mean think about it, why are you even upset now? Because I wanted you to patch things up with Oliver?"

Before I could retort though, right out of nowhere, Wright just said, "Wonder how creatures know where to pee? When they're marking their territory and all that. I mean, it's not like they have maps of that shit, do they? How do they know?"