Chapter 7: Same old, Same Old

Five on that same afternoon, she’s off on a train. She told Laura not to wait for her over the phone. After thirty minutes, light posts are lit and she’s off to her favorite coffee shop. A stout coffee owner was laughing heartily with some costumers then he saw Daniela and he let out a big smile.

“The pretty girl has arrived.” The stout coffee shop owner declared

“Did you miss me sir?” She asked

“I was worried about you but thank God!...” The coffee shop owner explained to her while they entered the shop side by side.

The coffee owner brought her two Frappuccino while she is writing on her pad.

“Thus, I pay my debt.” He served the coffee and smiled

She always does the routine, so, she stayed at that coffee shop until late that night and waited for the stout man to close the shop. She again helped with some dishes and tables and chairs. After the front entrance was locked the stout owner looked at her.

“Why?” She said

“Just promise me that you’ll always be safe and you will never get tired of coming back at this small coffee shop. I will be forever happy paying you cups and cups of coffee until this old man cannot make a cup for himself.” He smiled

“I promise”. She replied

The old man smiled again and started to walk towards the street corner. He crossed the street and looked back at Dani to wave goodbye. She waved back.

She started to walk on streets and driveways. She started to roam and wander nowhere. This is a small town. You can walk to the town hall to the park to the nearest convenience store in just five minutes. It is quite populated but it is a tiny town with streets ready for everybody’s tumbles and cartwheels. The last light post she saw was quite familiar. She looked ahead. She saw the bench.

Maybe today is not my day. She thought and took a deep breath of cold air.

She wiggled her legs. Looked around and saw people passing by.

It looks like that night. She remembered.

She stared across the street and wondered of how things will become and turn out days from this day then someone tapped her back, she turned to look.

“I took the last train.”

“You should’ve not come all the way here.” Dani said

“I was really worried”

“It’s just some crap memories Laura, just some cranked-up memories”

“Stories you would not tell your grandchildren?” Laura asked and smiled at her.

“Yeah. Maybe. I do not know. Maybe not. Apparently, I don’t know” Dani let out a laugh while motioning her head side to side.

“You asked me that during High School Dan and every single big decision that I have made, I asked myself that same question: ‘Would I tell this story to my grandchildren?’” Laura motioned her hand like a marquee running across her.

Daniella just stared at Laura while she was doing the hand gestures.

“At least that proves something I was wondering these whole time.” Dani stared back at the street.

“What was that?”

“Whether I am a good friend or not.”