Chapter 10: Mothers

That morning I decided to help my mother. I might actually be staying at this house for a couple of days. I wanted to hide from the hiding place that I have. If I could disappear from everything, I’ll do it without second thoughts. Pity and feeding me up with a lot of memories that they have detected to be missing is the least thing that I wanted to do. But, I guess, Laura knows me too well.

My mom opened the door after the third knock.

“Hey there!” Laura appeared beside the kitchen door and went straight to me and hugged me.

“What about work?” I just stood there not hugging her back.

“So, you’ve just arrived?” My mom walked in the kitchen.

“No, I was already here last night.” She answered my mom

“But what about work?” I asked her again

“Forget about it. It can wait.” She smiled back at me.

We spent the morning cooking cookies and watering the plants and those things that you usually do back when you were young but you’ve decided to drop because “it’s not cool anymore” said the society.

“I have missed these things you know back when you were kids and...” My mom went on with her stories of yesterdays.

Laura looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders.

My mother let us to be with ourselves after we’ve exhausted her Lavender seeds and we decided to sit at the porch like we used to back when we were in grade school. Laura sat on her favorite spot in our house.

“I used to think that this thing was bigger...” She looked up while sitting on our hanging bench.

“It was. We’ve just grew up” I sat on the floor like I used to.

“Do you have any plans?” She started

“I don’t know. I kind of predicted that people will just give me their sympathetic stare and act like they care if I go back at your place and you know that everybody’s living there and gossips spread faster than a contagious disease.” I stared at her direction

“Right... You’ll be staying then? How long?”

I shrugged my shoulders again. She patted my shoulders and sat beside me.

“Should you go to my parent’s place then? My mom was dead worried about you the moment I told her I was going home because you ran away and went back here”

“You’ve exaggerated the situation”

“Yah, you’re right. I should’ve not done that”

The moment that we arrived at Laura’s place I just noticed myself trapped in a grizzly hug with her mom. Did she missed me more than my parents? I am not really sure.

“So, you remember me right?” She released me and stared directly at my face

“Of course mom, tch! It’s not like she has a full erased memory besides she used to munch on your baked goods. How could she forget?!” Laura said with more sarcasm than necessary.

I looked around their porch like things will change if I turn around or something but yah, it’s still Laura’s house’s porch with a lot of pots and the smell of baked goodies coming out straight off their kitchen. Vanilla, still vanilla. Then I saw that little turning thing, it is still turning and it is still poked into a pot.

“Pinwheel!” I said like I was that seven-year old girl from kindergarten with pigtails and Laura’s holding my hand towing me straight to their house.

“Just like the olden times huh?” Laura’s mom said.

A moment just passed without any word then Mrs. Garfield’s oven gave out its whistles and beeps.

“Yep, that would be cupcakes kids” She walked in the house and left us with our selves.

I walked to my spot in this porch. Everywhere I go, I have a spot. Too much for my OCD or something but yes, I always, always go to the same spot at anywhere no matter what. A bit weird but hey, that’s me.

“You kind of love that rocking chair, don’t you?” Laura sat on the floor

“A bit”

“Your mom kept that pinwheel”

“Yep. Moms... you know them, SENTIMENTAL”

“It kept on turning though”

“She fixes it every year. She repaints it and checks the screws”

“Why would she bother doing that?”

“Because of your kindergarten promise”

I smiled.

“Hey girls, cupcakes....”