chapter three

warnings: swearing, knifes

"Come on! We don't want to be caught out after nightfall," the beaver said to the children, only making Ray's fears worse.

The five children and the beaver continue walking to a dam shaped like a house, with smoke billowing from the chimney.

"Ah, blimey! Looks like the old girls got the kettle on."

Lucy smiles widely, "it's lovely!"

"It's merely a trifle," the beaver says, shrugging off the compliment. "Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though."

"Beaver, is that you!" A shrill voice comes from the house as another beaver comes waddling out. "I've been worried sick, If I find you've been out with Badger again I... Oh!" She stops talking when she notices the five children, all sporting different facial expressions at the new found presence. "Those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day." The new beaver, who Ray dubbed Mrs Beaver, turned to look at Mr Beaver accusingly, "Oh look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?"

"I would have given you a week if I thought it would have helped."

Ray looked between the two warily, still just wanting to be at home, snuggled under her bed sheets.

"Oh, come inside, and see if we can't get you some food," Mrs Beaver stops and looks at her husband in what looked like playful shame, "and some civilised company."

Mr Beaver chuckles as the children are led inside, watching their step as they enter the dam. Ray waits behind Edmund so he can walk in first, not wanting to cut him off from his siblings, but instead of walking inside the brunette boy just looks around. Ray follows his line of sight to a beautiful snowy hill, covered in jagged cliffs and frozen ice.

"Enjoying the scenery, are we?"

The beaver's comment snaps Ray and Edmund out of their daze, and the young boy glares before entering the dam, closely followed by the other two.

As the two 13 year olds enter the dam, they spot the three other children sitting at the small table in the centre of the room. Ray took a seat on the steps near the door, and after not being able to find another seat Edmund soon joins her with his grouchy expression. The two shed their coats and placed them on the coat hanger.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?"

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's. You know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again."

"What a hopeful tone," Ray says sarcastically as she rolls her eyes, getting a small smile from Edmund.

Mrs Beaver walks over to Lucy and places a plate of what looks to be fish and chips in front of her. When she noticed Lucy's downcast expression, she spoke up cheerfully, "but there is hope, dear. Lots of hope!"

Mr Beaver spits out his drink and scoffs loudly, "Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" The animal leans forward and whispers dramatically, "Aslan is on the move!"

Edmund looks at Ray confusedly, earning a shrug in return making him walk forward, "who's Aslan?"

Mr Beaver started laughing loudly, confusing the children in front of him, "who's Aslan? You cheeky little blighter."

Upon noticing the blank expressions on the children's faces he sat up slowly and his expression darkened, "you don't know, do you?"

"Well we haven't exactly been here very long," Peter shot back.