15. Sorry Is The Hardest Word

Chaeyoung awoke in the warm air of the villa. It was sunny out and she yawned. Jennie was sleeping soundly next to her and she brushed back the hair from her new wife's face. They'd landed in Hawaii the night before. They stayed in a grand villa, courtesy of Jennie's rich dad. Chaeyoung smiled to herself while she watched Jennie sleep. Then she stretched and sat up. It was only 9:00 and Jennie had been exhausted by the traveling. Chaeyoung on the other hand, had slept soundly on the plane and was fully refreshed that morning, feeling excited about their honeymoon. She slid out of bed and walked over the the window. She looked outside at their view. Hawaii was every bit as beautiful as she imagined with its green lush mountains, the glistening waters and white beaches. She wanted to explore as much of it as possible with Jennie.

She turned around and looked at their unpacked luggage. They'd stumbled in late at night and hadn't bothered unpacking anything at all. They'd just tumbled into bed for honeymoon sex and promptly fell asleep. Chaeyoung glanced at the discarded garments at the foot of their bed and decided that it was probably best she unpacked and dressed in some fresh clothes. She knelt by her suitcase and unzipped it, the overstuffed contents popping out slightly. She took out a flower printed bikini, a loose tanktop and jean shorts as well as sunblock, towels and a bucket for making sand castles. As she removed more items from the suitcase, she came across the video camera. She remembered that they'd packed it as well. She opened up the side and checked to see how much space was left after they'd videotaped the reception. There were only a couple of minutes left. She looked back at Jennie and smiled. She wanted to leave a little surprise for Jennie if they were ever to view it after the honeymoon. With a flick of her thumb, she switched it on. The red recording light signalled that it was recording, but there wasn't anything on the screen.

"Is this on?" She asked out loud. "Hello? I can't see anything..." She looked at the front of the camera and noticed what was blocking the lens. "Oh! The cap!" She removed the piece of plastic and peered into the glass. She grinned and checked to make sure everything was in order before making her way over to the bed where Jennie slept. She sat down and angled the camera towards the two of them.

"So... you gave your speech at the reception but I never got to." She said quietly and smiled into the camera. "Jennie Park-Kim." She paused. Just saying that last name made her heart jump for joy and she couldn't stop herself from grinning. "Wow. That sounds good, doesn't it?" In response, Jennie snored and rolled over. Chaeyoung laughed a little and continued.

"Anyway, I'm not really sure what I should say. I mean, I've loved you since you punched out that kid in first grade for taking my lunch box. Do you remember that? You socked him one good and got time out for a whole ten minutes at recess." Chaeyoung giggled. "I went home that afternoon and told my mom I found the person I wanted to marry. My mom laughed at me and told me to invite you over for dinner." Chaeyoung shook her head. "I think I just knew. I'm psychic you know." She gently ran her finger across Jennie's cheek.

"We're super different, Jen. I mean, you're all organized and smart, I'm kind of air-headed. It took a long time for us to get here. But it was worth it." She sighed and set the camera down on the table, angling it up towards her so that she could tie her hair back.

"Remember when Kai asked what my favorite memory of you was? I told him all of them but the truth is, I'm more excited about the ones we haven't created. Mostly I just want to be with you. I can take on the world with you, Jennie. Well, to be honest the world is kinda scary. Let's go day by day before you run for president, ok?" She wrinkled her nose and stuck out her tongue cutely. "Anyway, just know that I'll always love you no matter what. And I hope that you'll always love me too." Chaeyoung shut off the camera and lay back down next to Jennie. She kissed her ear and Jennie stirred.